1753544 Members
5713 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion

DL380G7 Server Will Not Boot SD Card and USB NOT listed in boot order

wolfmanmike30
Collector

DL380G7 Server Will Not Boot SD Card and USB NOT listed in boot order

Please help, I am at a loss, hours and hours searching forums, google, and everywhere else.  I can not find a solution.

Proliant DL380G7 server worked perfect for 2 years, had a power fallure and backup UPS battery died less than 1 minute before the auto shut down finished.  Server would not boot after this occurance.  It would show attempting to boot from cd-rom, then drive c and nothing!  I went into bios and checked everything, all seemed ok, so on next reboot I selected F11 for boot menu, and niether sd card or usb were listed as choices (weird).  I rebooted again and pressed F9 for RBSU and double checked all ROM settings, boot order, etc. Here are the following screens

BOOT Order

IPL:1 CD-ROM

IPL:2 Floppy Drive (A:)

IPL:3 USB Dricekey (C:)

IPL:4 Hard Drive C: (See Boot Controller Order)

IPL:5 PCI Embedded HP NC382I PCI DP Multifunction 1Gb Adaper Port 1

NO USB , NO SD Card listed anymore, prior to this issue, they were both listed as choices!

PCI Embedded Menu:

ctlr:1 PCI Embedded  HP Smart Array P40i Controller

ctlr:2 PCI Embedded Intel(R) SATA Controller #1

USB Options

USB Control - Enabled

USB 2.0 Controller - Enabled

Removable Flash Media Boot Sequence - Internal SD Card First

The SD Card and USB are all enabled in RBSU, however will not boot from either, and not listed in manual boot list from F11

I have removed SD Card, Tested in another PC, it seem fine and wants to boot (CentOS8 upgraded to CentOSStream about 6 weeks ago)

I have moved maintence swith to reset system

I have replaced the CR2032 Batterry

I have gone through 30+ boot cycles trying every variation of setting possible

I have done a BIOS Flash with HPE Update BIOS, Funny thing the DL380G7 will boot from this usb thumb drive, but will NOT boot from any other USB drive tried on it.  With multiple DISTROS tried all with different know good USB Thumb Drives.

I am at a loss, can anyone here in the forum help?

Thank you in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
TVVJ
HPE Pro

Re: DL380G7 Server Will Not Boot SD Card and USB NOT listed in boot order

Hello,

With all the relevant settings for the SD card to be detected by the server being enabled and the SD card itself works on another device, it sounds more like that the SD card port on the system board might be defective as SD card is not detected.

Regards,

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

techin
Super Advisor

@wolfmanmike30 ..did you find a solution

wolfmanmike30
Collector

No solution found, decided to scrap it out for parts, most likely the main board is bad. It's over 10 years old, and I only paid $250.00 for it and got 2 years out of it.