4829 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

DL385 multiple drive failures

hpacuser
Occasional Contributor

DL385 multiple drive failures

Hi,

What are the recommended actions one can try when having multiple (2x) disk failures on such an old HP server (G1 Server) which took VMFS datastore down?

Still need to gather details about controller and raid configuration but was hoping there are a few things/actions you can suggest.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
ksram
HPE Pro

Re: DL385 multiple drive failures

Hi @hpacuser ,

Good day!

The best suggestion for now would be to keep the Firmware of the Controller and Drives at the latest available. (plus BIOS)

Also if there are read / write errors, you can try the below : 

1) Take regilar complete back up

2) Recreate all the logical drive(s).

3) Restore the data from the verified backup to the logical drives.

Verify the backup data by running File System Check (Windows - chkdsk) / File System Consistency Check (Linux - fsck)  / fsck  (Vmware) and restore.

Sequential write operations to the affected blocks should resolve the media errors.

If the Backup data has the errors, there are chances the Errors may be rewritten to the Drives again during restore – hence please verify the Back up and restore once it is confirmed that there are no errors.

4) If the errors are still seen, delete the logical drive, create a new Logical drive and use the same. This is to eliminate all Media errors. (do not restore the Back-up – since this may again bring the errors to the logical drives / Drives.)

If after all these the failures are still frequent then there may be Hardware issue that would needs to be addressed. 

Thank you

Ram

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

ksram
HPE Pro

Re: DL385 multiple drive failures

Hi @hpacuser ,

Kindly confirm if the steps were useful.

Thank you

Ram

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo