108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Differences between Gen8 and Gen9 12-bay LFF backplanes

SOLVED
Go to solution
mkaicher
Regular Visitor

Differences between Gen8 and Gen9 12-bay LFF backplanes

I have a DL380 Gen9 LFF server with a 4LFF backplane connected to a B140i controller. I've been looking into my options for filling out all 12 LFF slots. Preowned 12-bay Gen8 backplanes are available for $15-20 while the 12-bay Gen9 backplanes are selling for $150-200. Interestingly, I compared my Gen9 chassis to a Gen8 chassis and they appear to be physically identical (at least behind the drive cage where the backplane is mounted.). This made me wonder if it would be possible to install a Gen8 backplane in my Gen9 server. The plan would be to connect the backplane to an LSI sas/sata HBA controller with two SFF-8087 mini-SAS connectors. I've read success stories from people using LSI controllers with the Gen8 12LFF backplanes in Gen8 servers. Since I would be bypassing any official HPE RAID/HBA controllers, I don't see any reason why this wouldn't be possible in my Gen9. Is there some element of compatibility that I'm missing here?

Obviously this is not something supported by HPE. This machine is purely for personal use. I just want to know if it's possible. 

3 REPLIES 3
SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: Differences between Gen8 and Gen9 12-bay LFF backplanes

Hello,

This is not possible.

Gen8

HP Hard Drives
NOTE: The HP ProLiant DL380p Gen8 Smart Storage solutions are equipped with
entirely re-designed Small Form Factor (SFF 2.5 in) and Large Form Factor (LFF 3.5 in)
hotplug carriers for HP Qualified Hard Drives and Solid State Drives. These new
carriers provide status and activity indicators as well as caution indicators for "Do Not
Remove".

NOTE: The components of a storage subsystem (e.g. the drive, the HBA/controller,
firmware, and the server backplane) should operate at the same data transfer rate or
the system bandwidth will be negotiated down to an acceptable level for all
components.

NOTE: All 12G SAS Hard drives only operate at 6G speeds in the DL380pGen8

LFF front panel assembly (Front panel assembly contains power button assembly)
Front panel cage assembly, 8-bay Large Form Factor (LFF) hard drive and optical drive bay - Includes the drive connector backplane board, cables, and left and right ears
675603-001
Front panel cage assembly, 12-bay Large Form Factor (LFF) hard drive - Includes the drive connector backplane board, cables, and left and right ears 1
670944-001

HPE ProLiant Gen9

HPE Drives Select one or more drives from the Core Options-HPE Drives section below.
тАв The components of a storage subsystem (e.g. the drive, the HBA/controller, firmware, and the server
backplane) should operate at the same data transfer rate or the system bandwidth will be negotiated
down to an acceptable level for all components.

тАв The HPE ProLiant Gen9 Smart Storage solutions are equipped with re-designed Small Form Factor
(SFF 2.5 in) and Large Form Factor (LFF 3.5 in) hot plug carriers for HPE Qualified Hard Drives and
Solid State Drives. These new carriers provide status and activity indicators as well as caution
indicators for "Do Not Remove."

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello,

Please let me know if you have any queries.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

mkaicher
Regular Visitor

Thanks for the reply. I figured that was the case and accept your answer. However, just for fun, let's assume I don't care about the status, activity, and caution indicator functionality or the 6G SAS limit. Really all I want is power for 8 additional drives that will connect through the two  mini-SAS SFF8087 connectors to my 3rd-party (LSI) controller.  If the gen8 backplane could do that, it seems like a much cleaner alternative to jerry-rigging power cables and a much much cheaper alternative to buying the DL380 Gen9 12LFF backplane. I must note, I have successfully used the same LFF hot-swap caddies on both gen8 and gen9 machines, so I know for a fact that wouldn't be an obstacle. Again, thanks for the response!