Servers - General
1753822 Members
8832 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Does network switch firmware upgrade requires server, MSA and SAN switch shutdown?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Pubalan-Shell
Occasional Advisor

Does network switch firmware upgrade requires server, MSA and SAN switch shutdown?

Hi all,

We are planning to upgrade our cisco catalyst switch firmware but we are not sure if we have to shut down our 2 DL380 servers, MSA 2050 and HPE SN3000B san switch before the upgrade activity. Can anyone advice me on this. Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Anu_K
HPE Pro

Re: Does network switch firmware upgrade requires server, MSA and SAN switch shutdown?

Hello,

I didn't find any written doccumentation on this but in my opinion, I don't think it is required to shut down server, MSA and SAN switch while upgrading network switch firmware. Here are few pre-requisites that I found from 3rd party source(https://sjohnonline.blogspot.com/2019/05/network-switch-firmware-upgrade-best.html)

1)  Check the current firmware version on primary and secondary flash.

Ex : 5406-CORE Chassis: 5406zl J8697A!

Serial Number: XXXXXXX

Primary Image: 14151077 03/08/11 K.15.04.0003

Secondary Image: 9782454 07/07/09 K.14.34

Current ROM version: K.15.12

Switch Modules: J9309A, J8702A, J9308A, J9308A, J9309A

2)  Verify core switch architecture (Standalone or VRRP/HSRP/VSF)

3)  Check for firmware upgrade path (If firmware is too old get help from vendor to get a correct upgrade path)

4)  If firmware is too old vendors recommend for staged upgrade.

5)  Select the firmware upgrade path, read the release notes carefully and ensure that all firmware versions in the path are compatible with the Hardware, Rom version, Modules (including management module) and commands of the Switch.

6)   Release notes of respective firmware versions can be downloaded from the vendorтАЩs website.

7)  Download the required firmware versions from vendorтАЩs website.

Ensure the availability of spare serial console cable, laptop, internet connection and necessary softwareтАЩs (Putty, Teradem, Xmodem) to connect and configure the core switch in case of any failure.

9)   Ensure that the availability of uninterrupted power supply to avoid damage to your equipment, during the software update.

10)  Take a valid recent running and start-up configuration backup of switch before the upgrade.

11)  If the switch have 2 flashes,  primary flash and configuration should be copied to secondary flash before the upgrade, So in case of any issues, switch can be boot from secondary flash, which is having current version of the firmware and configuration.

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

Pubalan-Shell
Occasional Advisor

Re: Does network switch firmware upgrade requires server, MSA and SAN switch shutdown?

Hi Anu

Thanks for your feedback on this. Im thinking the same where we can see this as a network outage with no impact to server and MSA. The connection between server and MSA will be working fine since the connection from SAN switch is not affected.

Pubalan

ArunKKR
HPE Pro
Solution

Hi,

MSA 2050 is managed through management controller IPs for controller A/B.
Even if management port communication link is down MSA host port links would still serve IOs.

I believe that all the host ports on MSA 2050 is using Fibre channel connection.
MSA 2050 supports both FC and iscsi connectivity to host servers when appropriate SFPs are used.

If the host port connectivity is FC , ethernet switch firmware upgrade should not impact MSA.

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

Pubalan-Shell
Occasional Advisor

Hi Arun,

Got it..Thanks all for your answers. Appreciate the help

pubalan