1753500 Members
4209 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

Expanding Raid1 is taking forever

JakeMHughes
Occasional Visitor

Expanding Raid1 is taking forever

Hi, I recently got 2 new drives to add to my existing array. Since I have an HP Proliant G9 server, I used the builtin 'Intelligent Provisioning' in the server to both create the original array as well as attempt to add the new drives. After 20 hours I am currently 7.5% completed so assuming the progress is linear it will take me over 12 days to finish.

Additional information:

1. The original array is two 4TB drives utilizing 1.2TB's of data

2. The new drives are an additional two 4TB drives ( same exact drives )

3. The server is HP Proliant G9 DL360 running Ubuntu 20.04LTS

4. The raid controller is HPE H240ar Smart Host Bus Adapter

1. Is this normal? I was expecting it to take a long time but I was thinking 24-36 hours to completely finish

2. What happens if I loose power? a lot can happen in 12 days

3. Does anyone know if this particular controller allows for me to boot my OS while still expanding? ( I know some do and some dont and some depend on the OS )

4. Does anyone know if there is a way to cancel and revert it? ( Theres a few files I didnt backup that I should have so if I can revert it, I can copy those files then just do a fresh install on an entirely new RAID array )

1 REPLY 1
SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Re: Expanding Raid1 is taking forever

Hello,

Please find the answers to your queries below.

1. Is this normal? I was expecting it to take a long time but I was thinking 24-36 hours to completely finish.

It is normal.

1. What happens if I loose power? a lot can happen in 12 days.

Nothing will happen.

1. Does anyone know if this particular controller allows me to boot my OS while still expanding? ( I know some do and some don't and some depend on the OS )

Yes, the server will boot and you can work normally.

1. Does anyone know if there is a way to cancel and revert it? ( There a few files I didn't back up that I should have so if I can revert it, I can copy those files then just do a fresh install on an entirely new RAID array )

It is not recommended. You have to wait till the rebuilding completion, only server performance will be slow while rebuilding.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo