Servers - General

HBA and SFP compatibility

owahid
Frequent Advisor

HBA and SFP compatibility

Hello

I want to check the compatibility for the following components (HBA and SFP with HPE Server)

SFP Part NO: AJ716B

HP PN HBA (Brocade): AP769-60001
HPE server PN :  p02464-b21

How to check the compatibilty of hardware , I am searching for a tool or website just enter the  part numbers of hardware and get if it is compatable

3 REPLIES 3
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: HBA and SFP compatibility

Hi! the HPE Server you're referring to (SKU: P02464-B21) belongs to the HPE ProLiant 380 Gen10 series and a brief look at HPE ProLiant DL380 Gen10 Server QuickSpecs sheet (1st June 2020 37th edition) reveals that there is NO support for such old HBA (your AP769-60001) best known as the HPE StorageWorks 81B 8Gb 1-port PCIe Fibre Channel Host Bus Adapter (AP769B) now superseded (as reference have a check on an old QuickSpecs edition, as example look at the 8th Edition of 15th October 2010 here, of the most recent HPE 8Gb PCI-e FC HBAs available here released 15th October 2018).

I don't go beyond that point (verifying HBA and FC SFP compatibility) because, at this point, I would say that - as of now - equipping an HPE ProLiant Gen10 Server with a 10 years old HBA FC is not a great idea beyond any possible budget restriction imposing you to follow that route, maybe it could technically work (besides efforts do to so) but it's definitely not an HPE supported configuration (think about also OS drivers, Firmware etc...).

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
sudhirsingh
HPE Pro

Hi,

You can refer following link for server and option part compatibility.

HPE Server Options Compatibility Tool

https://hpeserversoptionscompatibilitytool.itcs.hpe.com/

However, 

This adapter isn't compatible with Gen10 server, seems to be very old and supported on G5/G6 server,

Even the SFP seems to be supported on HPE 81B HBA adapters and Brocade 8Gb SAN Switch for HPE BladeSystem c-Class.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

Regards,

Sudhir

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

>Accept or Kudo

parnassus
Honored Contributor

@sudhirsingh wrote: This adapter isn't compatible with Gen10 server, seems to be very old and supported on G5/G6 server,

Indeed a recent HPE ProLiant DL380 Gen10 Server simply wasn't engineered to support an 8G Fibre Channel HBA Adapter so old (ten years or more), from many points of view.

Actually the Gen10 supports only selected 16G/32G Fibre Channel HBAs and that is pretty much reasonable considering its purposes.

AFAIK, at best, the old HBA of the OP could work and it is supported up to some HP ProLiant G8 server models.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner