Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP-Certified Extensin Chord

Andrew Kaplan
Super Advisor

HP-Certified Extensin Chord

Hi there --

We are going through the motions of setting up a new server room, and one of the features that it will have is an elevated cable management system. The racks will accomodate network as well as power cables.

One of our servers is an L2000 system which sports two NEMA L6-30P cables. There is a possibility the length of the power chords will not be enough to reach the rack.

One of our other servers sports one NEMA L5-30P cable.

I heard HP had extension chords available for such purposes. Is that true? If so, what are the part numbers, and also, would using them constitute a site-wiring fault or are they legitimate and supported pieces of equipment? Thanks.
A Journey In The Quest Of Knowledge
2 REPLIES 2
timmy b.
Honored Contributor

Re: HP-Certified Extensin Chord

Andrew,
HP does not support the use of extension cords, and recommends against their use. I have been involved in numerous overhead racking systems where power was dropped from above, usually in instances where we were on a solid concrete floor. By the way, the "best practice" is to have your fibre channel and networking in the overhead ladder rack(s) and keep the power fed up from your raised floor. Any time you can isolate power away from networking, do it. On a solid concrete floor, power is usually dropped from overhead.

Now, the L class server actually uses up to 3 C15 style connectors on the back where the cords plug in. The C15 is a variation of the standard C13 connector we are all familiar with, they are what are used on the back of almost every PC's internal power supply. Go here http://tinyurl.com/8mzvo to see the different styles of connectors used. The C13 and C15 can be used for either 110volt or 200-240volt power. The L class accepts either voltage.

The L6-30P connector you are seeing is probably connected to a PDU, or Power Distribution Unit (think power strip) within the cabinet. Electricians commonly call the a Relocatable Power Tap. Go here to see the documentation on them, http://tinyurl.com/e4pee. You mention that there are two L6-30P of them so you undoubtedly have two PDUs. The L6-30P is a Locking, 200-240 Volt, 30Amp Male Plug. There should be power cords running from the server to the PDU, and then one power cord running from each PDU to the power source, in this case an L6-30R, or receptacle (female). You could simply relocate the PDUs from their current location to the very top U spaces in the rack to maximize the reach of the PDU power source cord. (The 16amp PDUs can be mounted vertically in the zero U space along the back of the rack, or horizontally in the U spaces, while the 30amp PDU can only be mounted horizontally.)

The other server sporting a single L5-30P cable is running on a Locking, 110volt, 30Amp power cord. As I said earlier, the L class will run on either 110volt or 200-240volt sources, but it will demand ~double the current on any given input at 110v.

If you have further question, reply and I'll try to answer them for you.

Good Luck - Tim
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand Binary, and those who don't.
Allan Bowman
Respected Contributor

Re: HP-Certified Extensin Chord

As Tim said, be sure to keep the power and network cables separate. You should have 2 layers of cable racks (or three if you have any DC powered equipment).

If the existing power cords are not long enough, you should be able to have longer cords made. Just be sure to make the required calculations for power consumption versus wire gauge and length.

I have worked at sites where custom extension cables have been used, but it is certainly frowned upon - usually only used when the power cord is not removable at the equipment end.

Allan in Atlanta