1753797 Members
7376 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP DL380 G6 - how to setup with no operating system for storage

krandall
Frequent Visitor

HP DL380 G6 - how to setup with no operating system for storage

i have a 2nd hp dl380 g6, the 1st is setup and running with windows server, i want the 2nd to be a storage, i have it ready with 16 x 900gb hdd, how do i set it up to show in windows server as a 2nd just for storage,

thanks in advance

6 REPLIES 6
AmRa
HPE Pro

Re: HP DL380 G6 - how to setup with no operating system for storage

You can only achieve this by Mapping a network drive of server with 16 x 900Gb HDD on existing working server.  Without OS on another server you cannot implement this configuration.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/map-a-network-drive-in-windows-10-29ce55d1-34e3-a7e2-4801-131475f9557d

I am an HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo
kira12
Valued Contributor

Hello,

if you need the 2nd as Network Storage just watch FreeNAS. Very simple to handle and run perfect. The Only think you should change your HDD Controller to a simple HBA...

best regards  r├й

krandall
Frequent Visitor

thank you for the reply, i will have a look into FreeNAS, any ideas on how to configer the 2nd to boot via network or something without putting an OS on any harddrive.

regards

sudhirsingh
HPE Pro

Hi,

San boot will be the ideal solution but that will cost you extra if you don't have an external storage.

Regards,

Sudhir

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

>Accept or Kudo

krandall
Frequent Visitor

Not having much luck, surly there is a simple way to setup the server to boot to network so it shows up in Windows server then I can map the drives and do what I want with them.
kira12
Valued Contributor

Hi,

the Server support netboot via pxe, some NICs supports also iScsi. All Unixlike OS can boot via Network. For pxe you need a Computer with TFTP and the netbootimage of the OS for your 2. Server.

best regards r├й