1748169 Members
4021 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP DL380e Gen8 with H240 HBA mode Boot Troubles

manuelg1
Occasional Visitor

HP DL380e Gen8 with H240 HBA mode Boot Troubles

Does anyone know if an HP DL380e G8 server can boot from ssd connected to a H240 HBA, or would I have to get an external solution (2 m.2 ssds on a pcie card connected to a pcie port on the g8) ? I've installed TrueNAS on ssds connected to the HBA that are supposedly going to be mirrored by TrueNAS, but I can't seem to figure out how to get the system to boot the ssds connected to the H240 HBA. I've already updated firmware on the HBA as well as BIOS to the latest versions I could find,  I've set the boot controller in the bios to be the PCI card (the h240), but I can't seem to find where to select a boot disk on the H240. I do not know if the H240 supports booting from disks connected to it, but any pointers would be appreciated. 

Manuel
3 REPLIES 3
sudhirsingh
HPE Pro

Hi,

H240 support internal Hdd or Ssd drives.

Please enter into Smart Storage Administrator(SSA) from the Intelligent Provisioning(Press F10 during Boot).

Make sure H240 is set in Raid Mode,

Create array and logical drive, install OS and boot.

In case you have multiple adapter and logical drives, select set boot device option in SSA and choose the desired controller and logical drive to boot from/where-ever OS has been installed.

If H240 is set in HBA mode, i

In HBA mode, all physical drives are presented directly to the operating system and the hardware RAID engine is disabled

When HBA mode is enabled, RAID mode is disabled. To enable RAID mode, disable HBA mode

also

In UEFI Boot Mode please verify the boot controller order it should have H240 adapter on top,
During boot system will look for boot devices attached to this controller.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Sudhir

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

>Accept or Kudo

manuelg1
Occasional Visitor

I'll be using this H240 in HBA mode. Is it possible for the server to boot from disks connected to the H240 in HBA mode? Could I set the boot disk on the H240 in HBA mode?

sudhirsingh
HPE Pro

Hi,

In HBA mode drives are passthrough, it cant be configured from the controller so i doubt it will work.

But

You can use embedded controller for boot device, you  can a drive into onboard SAS/Sata port and install OS in that.

This might help.

Regards,

Sudhir

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

>Accept or Kudo