New Discussion

HP ML350 Gen9 no bootable devices found

charlie_bird
Occasional Visitor

HP ML350 Gen9 no bootable devices found

Hello,

My HP server has 2 controllers:

1. P840 - 12 disks. RAID 5. Red Hat Linux boots off this

2. P440ar - 8 disk. RAID 5. Now there was a failed disk on this controller. Then another one failed. 

The system is was flashing red. No bootable devices found.

Removed P440ar from motherboard. System is green. But still no bootable devices found. 

Can I remove the P840 controller, reset mother board, reinsert controller and RAID configuration won't be lost?

Is this a known issue? P840 and P440ar sometimes conflicts? 

4 REPLIES 4
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: HP ML350 Gen9 no bootable devices found

@charlie_bird wrote:

Hello,

My HP server has 2 controllers:

1. P840 - 12 disks. RAID 5. Red Hat Linux boots off this

2. P440ar - 8 disk. RAID 5. Now there was a failed disk on this controller. Then another one failed. 

The system is was flashing red. No bootable devices found.

Removed P440ar from motherboard. System is green. But still no bootable devices found. 

Can I remove the P840 controller, reset mother board, reinsert controller and RAID configuration won't be lost?

Is this a known issue? P840 and P440ar sometimes conflicts? 

The raid information is stored on each disk in the array.  You can have  multiple smart array controllers in a system without conflict. Assuming you are in UEFI mode the boot information is written to UEFI and the system isn't looking for an INT13 device like older BIOS based systems. You can try to add another boot entry in RBSU and have it look on the devices the system reconises for an EFI bootloader.   Are you positve the boot array was the healthy array and not the one with two failed drives?  With two drives failed on the 8 disk RAID 5 array all the information in that array is lost

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
charlie_bird
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for the reply

Will give that a shot

I am positive that it was not the bootable array that failed. The bootable one is intact.

There is a post on the internet where there was a conflict between P840 and P440ar. Only if the P440ar is removed then can one boot from the P840. So I thought my problem is a similar one. The system tripped somehow. 

The default controller B140i needs configuration comes up.

But can I remove the P840 controller, motherboard reset, and then put back controller and RAID will still be intact? 

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

If your not using the embedded B140i, you can disable the controller so the configuration message will go away.

The array information is stored on each drive in the array.  You can remove the controller, and even switch controllers ((as long as the firmware is the same level or newer) and the controllers will see the array they are attached to and identify them properly. The array information is not saved on the controller itself.  Be sure to have the drive backplane disconnected from the controller when you reset the system.

Standard disclaimer: whenever you are messing around with drives or controllers, make sure you have a valid data backup just in case.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
charlie_bird
Occasional Visitor

Will give it a shot then! 

Linux stick it sees the 6 TB volume. I wonder if I should do a disk dump of this as a back up?