1753774 Members
7141 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP ML350p fan speed

douze
Visitor

HP ML350p fan speed

Hi! Im new to this forum but I have been reading on it for a while. Im hoping that someone could help me understand why my fans are at such high percentage of speed. The server is pretty loud. (Yes, Im aware of the threads about fanmods). I would like to keep the stock fans thou.

From what I read peaople usually gets the fan to spin around 20% with out any issues. My fans are constantly running at 35% speed. Which isn´t necessary.
The server is not hot at all.

Except from "HP Original" parts i run 128Gb of 3rd party memory and I have 8 Seagate Savvio 10K.6 drives installed in original HP caddies.
In iLO everuthing is OK. The CPU temps is always 40c and HD-max is always 50c. They never change for some reason.
The server is configured for "Optimal cooling" in bios.

I will attach some images so you can see how it looks.

Hope someone can give me some answers.
Thanks in advance!

/Robert

5 REPLIES 5
ksram
HPE Pro

Hi douze,

Thank you for the Post.

Here we would suggest the below : 

1) Update iLO to the latest Firmware available

2) Update the Array Controller to the latest available

3) Power Cycle the Server

The above would help in such scenarios.

Also let us know since when the issue started / noticed.

If there were any changes done recently after which the issue started. If yes, share the details.

Thank you

RamKS

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

douze
Visitor

Hi!

1. iLO 2.77
2. Array Controller P420 8.32
3. Power cycled many times

Unfortunately this doesnt helo at all.
Any other ideas?

/Robert
ksram
HPE Pro

Hi,

Please try the below : 

1. Set Thermal configuration to optimal cooling.
  2. Drain the flea power by disconnecting any power input, all the external cables (including Power and Network), external devices and pressing and holding down the power button for 10 seconds. Check the fans and be sure the air flows over the drive.
  3. Reseat the fans. Also reseat any PCI cards if connected.
  4. Clear NVRAM

STEP 1: Remove the access panel of server
    STEP 2: Locate system maintainence switch on the system board
    STEP 3: Change the position of switch number 6 from off state to on state
    STEP 4: Boot the server
    STEP 5: Wait for 5 to 10 seconds
    STEP 6: Shut down the server
    STEP 7: Change the position of switch number 6 from on state to off state
    STEP 8: Reboot the server 
  5. If issue persists, reduce the server to minimum configuration -

Remove all external PCI cards attached to server. Start adding parts in incremental manner to isolate the faulty component.

Thank you

RamKS 

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

douze
Visitor

Did all the above. Still the same.

Fans at 34-36% all the time. Both CPUs reports 40C all the time and HD-Max reports 50C all the time.
These temps never change. And they are not accurate. Have been monitoring the temps from another software.

Something is wrong with iLO firmware. When I search about this issue it seems to be quite alot of people who experience the same problem on the ML350p gen8.

ksram
HPE Pro

Hi douze,

May require to log Case with HPE to get the logs analyzed and to share the suggestions.

Thank you

RamKS

I work for HPE.

Accept or Kudo