108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Part Numbering Scheme

SOLVED
Go to solution
Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

HP Part Numbering Scheme

I am curious in learning whether HP has any meaning behind their part numbers?

I believe that anything starting with a D (D2794-69001) is a part for either a Netserver or PC. But what do the Axxx and Cxxxx numbers refer to? Also is there a signifcance behind the 5x5 numbering scheme as well?

More curious than anything.

Thanks,
Bob
----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!
2 REPLIES 2
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor
Solution

The standards for HP part numbers are determined mostly by the supplying divisions and while there have been attempts to standardize, you'll find 4x4 and 5x5 part numbers (ie, 1234-5678 and 12345-67890), part numbers with single letter codes (more recent products in the last 10-15 years) and then 3rd party part numbers as components from other suppliers are directly integrated into HP's part number system.

For a great website on HP parts, bookmark this: http://partsurfer.hp.com

There's not a lot of info you can get by the prefix on a part other than it is often related to the model number of the product itself. For instance, an old Omnibook 600 has a model number: F1065A and the replacement LCD screen is F1065-69003. Note that the "9" after the 6 indicates an exchange part number, that is, you must return the defective part or you'll be charged a higher price. Similar to a 'core' charge at an auto parts store.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

Thank you for the info.

-Bob
----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!