1753460 Members
4608 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Power Manager can't detect R3000XR UPS

kenny chia
Regular Advisor

HP Power Manager can't detect R3000XR UPS

I have multiple RH servers and a Win2K server connected to a R3000XR UPS. I intend to use the HP Power Manager software to detect UPS power failure.

I removed the old but working lansafeIII software and installed the HP Power Manager Server into the Win2K server.
But during the configuration setup, the HP Power Manager Server could not detect the connected R3000XR UPS. Below is the message during detection. The previous lansafeIII software is able to detect the UPS. I did not change the serial cable at all.

Trying: 3101
Trying: Pro UPS
Trying: XCP
Failed to find device, please check your connections and try again.

What could be the problem?
All Your Bases Are Belong To Us!
19 REPLIES 19
Mahesh Kumar Malik
Honored Contributor

Hi Kenny

HP Power Manager 4.0 requires Win2K to have SP4. Please apply and then re-install the product. Following link may be of help

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/power-protection/software/power-manager/index.html

Regards
Mahesh
kenny chia
Regular Advisor

The Win2K Server already has SP4
thanks.
Scott Robey
Frequent Advisor

Have you verified that there is nothing conflicting with the COM part that you are attempting to use? Please verify that all the LanSafe services are stopped as this will cause the communication to fail. Is this PM 4.0?
kenny chia
Regular Advisor

I uninstalled LansafeIII and rebooted the machine, HPPM still can't detect the UPS.

Yes it is HPPM4.0

I tried installing the linux version of HPPM server on a Linux Machine. It could not detect the UPS too.

Do I need to upgrade the firmware of the UPS?
Scott Robey
Frequent Advisor

You should not have to upgrade the firmware of the UPS to resolve connection problems. Are you using any optional cards installed in the UPS (6 port card, SNMP card)? Have you verified your COM settings?
ets try a quick test. Download the ERM configurator for the UPS and see if it can connect to the UPS, this uses the same protocal and com port as the PM 4.0.
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/power-protection/software/hard-firmware.html#c
This will also tell us what the FW of the UPS is just as a reference.
kenny chia
Regular Advisor

Hi Scott
Attached is the output. It seems able to connect to the UPS
I do not have any SNMP or 6 port card.

What COM settings must I verify? Must I manually set the COM port speed to 19200 in Windows? From the output, the firmware version is 1.9

Scott Robey
Frequent Advisor

OK
If the ERM configurator attached to the UPS with no problems then we do not have a conflict with the com port and we know the cable is good as well as the serial card in the UPS. For your reference ERM configurator mis-reads the FW so you actually have 1.09 which is the latest for the 3000xr. When you run through the configuration for PM 4.0 post install are you choosing all the default settings? You should not have to adjust the com port settings in windows as we saw the ERM configurator attach to the UPS just fine. I'm stumped here, perhaps something didnt land right, maybe an uninstall/reinstall of power manager 4.0? If needed call into support and reference this post so you are not asked to repeat alot of these actions.
Ken Lee_9

I have had exactly the same issue with this Model UPS (though with Windows 2003 Server).

In the end I deleted the Port and rebooted-it recreated the port on startup and after that it came good.

Even so we still have the UPS disappear on occasions after reboot...... and will re-appear next reboot or at some other indeterminant time....

kenny chia
Regular Advisor

Hi all
I manage to solve the problem by installing Lansafe version 5 from powerware