7469 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Power Manager can't detect R3000XR UPS

Scott Robey
Frequent Advisor

Kenny,
Glad that you atleast have a solution in place and sorry that we were not able to get power manager to work properly.
Mauricio Chavez
Frequent Advisor

Try disabling CLI on the iLO card of the server with the Power Management SERVER software.

Regards,

Mauricio

Chris Peden_1
Occasional Advisor

Has anyone found a resolution to this problem. I just setup a new ML570 G3 with a R3000XR UPS connected via serial port and I cannot get anything to connect to it. ERM app will not even connect to it. disabled ESM serial port, disabled iLO serial port and CLI. Could it be bad UPS?
Scott Robey
Frequent Advisor

If the ERM app will not even connect to it then sounds like a different issue. Perhaps you can try connecting to a switch or other serial device to test the COM port on the server. Also make sure that you are using the correct serial cable, should be almost charcoal in color (dark grey). Make sure that the COM port is configured correctly also, try telling it COM2 versus COM1...just a thought.

Check device manager for the COM settings.
Chris Peden_1
Occasional Advisor

I used the serial port on the server to successfully configure our Cisco PIX through the console cable. I will double check the cable, however I can tell you its not dark, its a neutral gray color....so maybe I just have the wrong cable, however im pretty sure this is the proper cable.
Woody Gulledge
Advisor

Similar experience on a fresh Win2k3 server (running on a DL380G2) and R3000XR UPS. The com port is fine, the cable is fine, the latest patches/service packs are installed. There are no device conflicts for the serial port and there is only one application (HP power manager) accessing the com port.

My observations: the UPS serial service (the code running in the UPS handling serial communications) hangs when there are multiple warm reboots of the Win2k3 server or especially if there is a power cycle of the Win2k3 server hardware. I never loose serial connectivity until the Win2k3 is booted or power cycled--to put it differently, the serial connection has remained stable for over 25 days until an event required rebooting the Win2k3 server and then serial connectivity was gone until the UPS was power cycled.

The only way I can recover serial connectivity is to power cycle the UPS. Power cycling the DL380G2 alone does not restore the serial connectivity.
Chris Peden_1
Occasional Advisor

I checked the cable and verified I have the right one. I tried to connect to another device through the serial port to verify its working and now its not working at all. I know out of the box it worked, so maybe there is a configuration issue with iLO. I tried to put everything back to factory defaults. Can anyone offer any advice? is it possible to short out a serial port or anything like that? server works fine other than serial port issues. Its also only showing one com port where before it showed two.

HELP!
Scott Robey
Frequent Advisor

Try disabling the ILO CLI.
ded_ch

I work in a big company and we use a lot of DL360 and DL380 Servers and R3000 UPS Devices.
About 75% of the Devices have exactly this problem.
We are now using ESX Server as a base Platform for this servers and using the HP Powermanager for Linux, I was able to connect to the ups on one server, but not another one. I cannot get it to work, even if I recycle the power on the server and the UPS.
This is a really anoying problem, and I guess somebody should open a support call with HP about this. Has anybody done this before?
If not, I defenitely will.

MiguelGM
Advisor

Hello, I had this problem too and solved it desactivating ILO2 Serial console. Just go to the ILO web management page and click on:
Administration>Access>Options

Change the "Serial Line Interface Status to Disabled.

The apply button did not restart the ILO itself. I had to connect by ssh and enter the next command>

> reset map1

The W2k3 Standard server do not need to reboot to detect the UPS after this change.

I have wasted a lot of time resolving this, the thing is that some of our DL380G5 had this option activated out of the box, and others not, it was making me crazy.

Hope this info helps you!!! Bye