1753626 Members
5624 Online
108797 Solutions
New Discussion

HP PowerTrust II LR config file?

Michael D. Zorn
Regular Advisor

HP PowerTrust II LR config file?

We have an A1354A (240V, 2kVA). It seems to be working, and I find ups_mond running (from ps -ef):

/usr/lbin/ups_mond -f /etc/ups_conf -e ups_monchild

(What's '-e ups_monchild'?)

The config file is

shutdown_delay_mins:10
shutdown_timeout_mins:1
upstty:/dev/tty0p1:SOLA

We had a power failure a few weeks ago, and the system (HP9000 K200) disks came up badly trashed. I had to restore /usr from backup tapes, one set of which wouldn't read.

I found the manual, but there's no mention of the config file. I did a search here for "powertrust", but none of the posts talk about the config file. (Google finds a lot of these posts, too - more, in fact, than 'search' here.)

UPS messages seem to get logged in daemon.log:

Oct 17 05:23:58 dms-1 /usr/lbin/ups_mond[1267]: /usr/lbin/ups_mond: UPS /dev/tty
0p1 AC POWER FAILURE - running on UPS battery

Oct 17 05:34:59 dms-1 /usr/lbin/ups_mond[1267]: /usr/lbin/ups_mond: reboot -halt invoked due to UPS error cited in previous syslog message

The time is close to that reported by a UPS on another system (except for 4 h difference, which may be due to time zone settings). The reboot happened 10 min after the power failure. I don't know what the "timeout 1 min" does.

Shouldn't it call 'shutdown -h' with some grace period (for us, 0 is OK)? Or if it does, shouldn't that be logged?

Can I have it do anything else beside shut down - like try to log off idle users?