1752790 Members
5862 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP Pro Liant DL 380p Gen8  server. Raid

TalalJavaid
Advisor

HP Pro Liant DL 380p Gen8  server. Raid

I have a  HP Pro Liant DL 380p Gen8  server. It has 6 hp hard drive 300GB each and 2 bays are still empty. I installed that server around may be 6 years ago for my old employer.

OS is linux - SME Server  (koozali).

As far as I Remember I installed Raid 5 and according to my little knowledge with servers, putting 2 same hp 300 Hard drive should have increase the the size of current drive. Raid would automatically add those 2 hard drive in to current raid. 

Currently server have a drive of 1.3 tb approx. and 1 tb is used. so main purpose is to increase the sever storage.

I put the both hd HD into empty slot and they just blinked one time and that's it. nothing happening. its not working as I thought,

I haven't worked on Servers from last 5 years and I forgot a lot. 

Can any one help me that if there is any way to add those hard drive to current raid without effecting current Operating system (Koozali)And also how can i check which raid is installed in this server to confirm. 

19 REPLIES 19
AmRa
HPE Pro

In HP ProLiant DL 380p Gen8  server you can use Intelligent Provisioning to access HPE Smart Storage Administrator (HPE SSA).

To access Intelligent Provisioning, power on or reboot the server and press F10 when prompted during the server POST.

Once  the server booted into Intelligent Provisioning navigate to SSA and perform logical and physical drive operations.

Please refer Intelligent Provisioning User Guide for ProLiant Gen8 Servers  (page number 38) to get into HPE Smart Storage Administrator through Intelligent Provisioning.

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=c03182305

With reference to Logical drive extension, please refer HPE Smart Storage Administrator (HPE SSA) user guide (page number 76 and 104).

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=c03909334

I am an HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo
TalalJavaid
Advisor

Thanks you so much for reply, 

Is there is any danger to just going and look at what is there by going HPE Smart Storage Administrator (HPE SSA).. once i look at it and quit it without saving any thing. my server will restart normally. 

I also want to ask is that is possible to add those 2 new hard drive to existing raid to i don't have to install any thing.

AmRa
HPE Pro

Please find the answer of your questions.

Is there is any danger to just going and look at what is there by going HPE Smart Storage Administrator (HPE SSA).. 

>>> No, there is no danger to just get into HPE Smart Storage Administrator (HPE SSA) and review the existing configuration.

I also want to ask is that is possible to add those 2 new hard drive to existing raid to i don't have to install any thing.

>>>Yes, with the help of HPE Smart Storage Administrator (HPE SSA) you can add 2 new hard drives  to existing raid without installing any utility.

I am an HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo
TalalJavaid
Advisor

Thanks you so much for you support, 

I will go now there and get some screan shot and ask you to confirm that what i am planing to do is correct. mean while i will put my server on backup , which will take few days. once its done. i will try to add those hard drive. 

TalalJavaid
Advisor

Oh God , I just died and get life again. after viewing Storage admin took a picture, restart server it said os missing and i litterally deid that but thanks GOD i just restarted the srver , secelct boot from hd again and it worked. 

I will going to send you picture what i got. and ask few question about it. 

AmRa
HPE Pro

Will you please check and let us know the status of logical and physical drives.

If you are unable identify the issue, we would suggest you to raise support ticket with HPE support team for further troubleshooting.

TECHNICAL SUPPORT PHONE NUMBERS

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/Getdocument.aspx?docname=A00039121ENW

I am an HPE Employee.

Accept or Kudo
TalalJavaid
Advisor

please see the picture i have taken, its says i have 6 drive which are existing and 2 that i have put new show as un assigned. I ddin't clicked the configure because i want to take full backup b4 doing any thing but had click more detail just to check more detail which you can more understand Server Main Smart Array.jpeg

Below is the image i took for more detail so you can more understand about the system. Is this is Raid 5 or some thing else. 

Server Array.jpg

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

just select expand this array

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
AmRa
HPE Pro

Click on View More Details under Controller Configuration Summary and share the screeshot.

I am an HPE Employee.

Accept or Kudo