1748054 Members
4872 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

HP Proliant 360p GEN 8 - HP Smart Array P420i Controller issue

alex_sai
Occasional Visitor

HP Proliant 360p GEN 8 - HP Smart Array P420i Controller issue

Hello, I've been having a problem with my server the last week or so, getting a constant error on start up.

"Slot 0 HP Smart Array P420i Controller (1GB v8.32) 1 Logical Drive

1979-Slot 0 Drive Array - Write-Back Cache Backup Previously Failed

Caching is disabled."

I have tried updating the firmware, replacing the battery connected to the controller, restoring system defaults, reconfiguring the caching settings, and pretty much anything else I could think of short of replacing the card itself. 

Am I at the point where I just need to replace hardware? Or is there anything else I could try and do. 

2 REPLIES 2
StorageMike
HPE Pro

Re: HP Proliant 360p GEN 8 - HP Smart Array P420i Controller issue

Hi

You could try the following actions.

1. Use iLO to check the HPE Smart Storage Battery charge. Verify that the battery charge is sufficient to enable caching.
  2. Be sure the cache module is seated properly.
  3. Reseat the cache module.
  4. Replace the cache module.
I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

AmRa
HPE Pro

Re: HP Proliant 360p GEN 8 - HP Smart Array P420i Controller issue

Based on below customer advisory If the issue has already occurred and controller firmware is already updated, replace the HPE Smart Array controller if the Smart Array Controller cache is embedded on the Smart Array controller board.

NOTE: For Gen9 controllers that do not have cache embedded, the cache is not replaceable by itself. The controller and cache must be replaced at the same time.

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=c05158732&docLocale=en_US

I am an HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo