1751970 Members
4712 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion

HP R/T2200 UPS temperature shutdown

SurferDave
Occasional Advisor

HP R/T2200 UPS temperature shutdown

I tried finding what the temperature is when the UPS shuts down the system if checkbox "Temp out of range " is checked in the Shutdown events section.

Can someone please specify details about overheating temperatures and actions the UPS makes.

Thanks

Dave

10 REPLIES 10
Lincy_Zachariah
Valued Contributor

Re: HP R/T2200 UPS temperature shutdown

Hi,

Hi,

When a shutdown event occurs, HPPM gracefully shuts down all attached devices and UPS load segments. You need to enter the number of minutes to wait between the time the event occurs and the time the device shuts down in the Delay (Minutes) field.If you select the Temperature Out of Range in the Shutdown events you also need specify the Delay minutes to allow all attached devices and UPS load segments to gracefully shutdown.

Temperature Out of Range
• An ambient temperature probe has detected that the temperature is above its upper limit.
• A heatsink at an unspecified location in the UPS has failed.
• An input or output transformer used by the UPS has exceeded its upper temperature limit.

You can also check the Parameters menu option
This screen displays the available UPS parameter values. A status icon next to each parameter indicates the current state of the parameter (Normal, Warning, or Critical).

SurferDave
Occasional Advisor

Hi Lincy_Zachariah,

Thanks for your answer - especially the mandatory shutdown delay - didn't know this is a "must"!

What I'm really needing is at what temp the shutdown accours. We have a very small server room. It's air conditioned, but if the aircon fails I want to be sure the ups will shut down the system fast enough. If it's arround 50°C I'll be super happy :)
Lincy_Zachariah
Valued Contributor

Hi,

The ideal temperature for this UPS as per the user guide is :

Environmental specifications

Operating temperature 0°C to 40°C (32°F to 104°F)
Nonoperating temperature -15°C to 50°C (5°F to 122°F)

You can also check the Parameters menu option.
Click Parameters in the left navigation frame to display the UPS Parameters screen. This screen displays the available UPS parameter values. A status icon next to each parameter indicates the current state of the parameter (Normal, Warning, or Critical).
In the screen, under the Environment tab you can find the temperature parameter.

SurferDave
Occasional Advisor

I can't find environmental tab. I checked and the version I'm using is the latest (HP Power Manager 4.3 (Build 2)).

See the attached print screen.

Thanks again!

Lincy_Zachariah
Valued Contributor

Hi,

Please try the following steps:

1 . Click on the Logs Tab and select UPS Data menu option from the in the left navigation frame to display the UPS Data screen. This screen displays a log of all UPS data that has been recorded, such as Input Voltage, Temperature, and Battery Capacity.
You can check the recorded temperature here.

OR

2. Changing UPS data log Settings
a) Click on the Logs Tab and select UPS Data menu option from the in the left navigation frame to display the UPS Data screen.
b) Click Log Setting at the bottom of the UPS Data screen.

NOTE: Only users with administrative rights can edit the information on this screen.

c) Please check if the Environment parameter is available here and if its checked.

d) if the parameter is not checked, please make the necessary changes and then verify it its displayed in the UPS parameter menu.

Hope this help you,

SurferDave
Occasional Advisor

Unfortunately no environment settings exist. Log file is empty as well, but I erased it about 1 month ago - before we had a planned power outage.

Is our UPS recording temperature at all? Do I cycle it to get something in the log?

See attached printscreens.

Lincy_Zachariah
Valued Contributor

Hi,

From what we discussed till now i guess for your UPS Model all the variables are not supported. 

Generally the following data values are logged:

• Input voltage
  • Input current
  • Input frequency
  • Output voltage
  • Output current
  • Output source
  • Output load
  • Output power
  • UPS temperature
  • Runtime remaining
  • Battery status
  • Battery voltage
  • Battery capacity
  • Self test summary

But depending on the specific UPS model, some variables might not be supported.

You can configure HPPM to get email notifications, broadcast messages or  SNMP traps for any alarm or event.

You can do this setting from the Event Setting Menu Option and you must have administrative rights to see this link

You can refer to page 74 of the attahced User Guide to learn more about setting event notifications.

Or you can access the HP Guided Troubleshooting (HPGT) from the following link:

http://h20584.www2.hp.com/hpgt/guides/select?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=3447589&prodSeriesId=332176&lang=en&cc=us

Select HP Power Manager >> Configuration & Operation  >>  Home tab >> Event Settings menu option

Note: Broadcast Messages are not sent in Windows 2008 as its not supported by the operating System

SurferDave
Occasional Advisor

Thank you for your time I really appreciate it.

One more question though. Even if I'm missing temp variables is the UPS still gonna shut down the servers when temp is too high or is there no temp sensor in the device?

Lincy_Zachariah
Valued Contributor

Hi,

Please confirm if you are getting "Temperature Out of Range" option in the Shutdown event Menu. If yes, please Click on the Shutdown checkbox and give the delay minutes. This will make sure When a shutdown event occurs, HPPM gracefully shuts down all attached devices and UPS load segments.