1748165 Members
3922 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP R1500 XR UPS and HP Power Manager setup

oldjimmy007
Frequent Visitor

HP R1500 XR UPS and HP Power Manager setup

Hi all, i have an hp server with an HP R1500 XR UPS which I can't get going on my 2008 windows server.

The basic issue is when I try to configure power manager the software fails to detect the UPS when scanning COM3 for the device.  It tries 3 methods to connect then presents the error "setup was unable to find a ups device. please check your connections and select back to start again."

I'm connecting to the UPS over a serial adapter though COM3.  Device manager picks up the UPS but it shows the driver is not installed.  On reading documentation further which suggests you can install the driver from hpups.inf supplied with Power Manager Server for this particular model but it does not work.

Can anyone suggest why I might not be able to find my device?

Server is Windows 2008R2 Standard 64bit.

9 REPLIES 9
PGTRI
Honored Contributor

hi,

Do You have an UPS management module? What's the server model?

Thanks!

regards,

How to Say Thank You? Just click the KUDOS!
oldjimmy007
Frequent Visitor

I hate to be vauge, i'm going to gather more hardware information for us.  I dont have remote or physical access to the server at this moment.

The UPS has a serial interface on the back of it which i've plugged into a Serial to USB adapter.  From my understanding the serial connection is the management module, is that correct?

oldjimmy007
Frequent Visitor

The server is a DL380 G7
PGTRI
Honored Contributor

hi,

You cannot use HP Power Manager, if you have a management module, because they are not compatible. The management module has his own management software,which should be used to configure the UPS. You need to chooce either the HP Power Manager or the HP Management Module, because you cannot use the both at the same time.

Thanks!

regards,

Lincy_Zachariah
Valued Contributor

Hi,

You need use the serial cable that was shipped with the UPS.  All HP UPS models ships with a computer communication serial interface cable. For normal UPS operation, the serial interface cable is not needed. If power management of the UPS is desired, connect the serial interface cable between the UPS communications port and the serial port on the host computer. Then install the UPS management software that is provided on the CD that came with the UPS. Check the Power Management software User Guide for the operating systems that are supported and UPS software installation instructions.  So please try with communication serial interface cable that was shipped with the UPS.

Additionaly:

• Verify that the UPS is connected to the correct communications port (COM1, COM2, and so on).
  • Verify that no other software or processes are accessing the communications port to which the UPS is attached.
  • Verify that you are using the communications cable that came with the UPS.
  • Verify that resources for the selected communications port (such as I/O port or IRQ) are not shared with other devices.
  • Try a different communications port.
  • Check for the icon in the Windows® system tray that shows the status of HPPM. It might take a few moments for the icon to change. A green check mark displays if the Management Server is communicating with the UPS without errors. If the service has stopped, a blue hexagon icon displays. Hover over the icon with the mouse pointer, and a tool tip displays a status message. If Red status icon displays then  either Software is not configured, the UPS is not connected, or the agent and Management Server is not communicating.
  • You can refer to the following link:
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=120&prodSeriesId=332176&prodTypeId=3447589&prodSeriesId=332176&objectID=c00339005&prodTypeId=3447589&prodSeriesId=255222
oldjimmy007
Frequent Visitor

@PGTRI

Thanks for the reply.  I have had this UPS running on HP power manager on an older DL380 G4 over the serial cable.  The only difference is that the new server is running Windows Server 2008 and the serial cable is plugged into a Serial to USB adapter.

oldjimmy007
Frequent Visitor

@ Lincy

Thanks for the reply, as with my reply to the previous person I've had this UPS working in power manager fine up until now.

As in the screen shot I provided you can see that the UPS is detected by device manager.  I'm not sure why it's not being detected by Power Manager.  I've confirmed that power manager will work in Server 2008 with this UPS.

The only thing I'm not 100% certain of is if it will operate normally through my Serial to USB converter as my new server's serial port currently has a cisco CLI cable that I cannot remove for remote administration purposes.

Any help apreciated.

James

PGTRI
Honored Contributor

hi,

The problem is with the cable. It is very important, that you use the communication cable supplied with the UPS.

You can check it here (page 3).

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00686512.pdf

"

CAUTION:

Use only the specific cable supplied with the UPS to

connect the communications port to the host computer.

"

Thanks!

regards,

Lincy_Zachariah
Valued Contributor

Hi, If power management of the UPS is desired, connect the serial interface cable between the UPS communications port and the serial port on the host computer. I would request you to try the Serial cable, as i think the serial to USB converter might not be supported on this model of UPS.