Servers - General
1753519 Members
5034 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion

HP Server Console Switch G2 0x2x32 - AF619A iLO integration ?

tygarbyte
Occasional Advisor

HP Server Console Switch G2 0x2x32 - AF619A iLO integration ?

Hi,

Hardware layout, I have 20 physical server G4, G5, G7 and G8 server, in Three rack - kvm is in centre rack in a shared datacentre. I dont want to run 2x cat5 cables to iLO / Console into servers.

iLO is on different IP range and VLAN from server IP range. there is no desk/seat in datacentre to sit to do work so laptop is hard to work with.

anyways question is........................

Can someone confirm the iLO part.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/jm/en/sm/WF06b/3447589-3447589-3446284-3446304-3446304-435577-4065998.html?dnr=1

Seamless integration with iLO/RiLOE |  Yes

From my understanding from what I thought it could do was plug a network cable from the iLO port of a HP server directly into the port of the "HP Server Console Switch G2 0x2x32".

However this is not the case from reading and pluging in cables and testing , apparently iLO integration part is that you can console and iLO serperately ( ie need 2 CAT5 cables- one for iLO and one for the KVM), , with iLO taking precedence when someone is connected.  #RANT This is pretty Lame.... as we are paying $$$ already for advnace iLO. I just need a monitor and keyboard that i dont have to spend 10mins plugin into multiple servers when I visiting the datacentre.

thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: HP Server Console Switch G2 0x2x32 - AF619A iLO integration?

>as we are paying $$$ already for advance iLO

I would have thought that you would use iLO back at your desk and not in the data center or at least where you have a comfy chair.  ;-)

tygarbyte
Occasional Advisor

Its for times when you need to be physically there at the datacentre, on those rare emergency or upgrades.

WMallari
Occasional Advisor

Sir,

I think you are doing it all wrong. ILO ports - management ports are supposed to be be wired directly to network switch. Thsi is where you can remotely control the server.  You can use a CAT 5/e/6 cable.

KVMs are designed to also control the server but in your case, you are currently using an analog KVM which has no remote feature, it only has a local access control. The wiring has to be a CAT 5/e cable directly to the KVM console switch and at the end of the CAT 5 cable, you need to have a PS2 or USB or both adapter. This adapter will connect to the server's USB port for USB or PS2 ports for PS2 connection.

I haven't heard of such where an ILO port is used to connect to the KVM Console Switch.