1753269 Members
5084 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP Server HD Caddy Question from Wiki

kinporsch
Occasional Visitor

HP Server HD Caddy Question from Wiki

I was reading the Wiki on Hardware and I have a question about this..

HP Specific Comments: HP has locked down their newer servers quite tightly in terms of hardware, and G5/6/7 caddies don't fit G8/9 servers. The RAID will also run in degraded mode if you try to reuse a caddy by swapping hard drives, because the caddy is "smart" and has a memory chip in it. It can tell when you've done a swap of hard disks.

So what is meant by run in degraded mode? Are we saying putting in different hard drive in a caddy won't work at all? Or does it sorta work depending on what your doing?

5 REPLIES 5
Thomas985
Occasional Visitor

Re: HP Server HD Caddy Question from Wiki

I have taken several drives from a G6, 300 GB SAS HP drives, and mounted them in Gen8-caddies and loaded up a server at home. No problems.

I've also taken some generic SATA-drives and mounted them in Gen8 caddies. This also works, but here I've had some difficulty with the system fans going all the way to 94% after this. No reasoning for it in the logs.

The RAID-controller says everythings fine, sees the temp fine etc etc, ILO-log says everything is fine. But I still get a jet taking off. But this doesn't happen with every drive.

MyGiftCardSite.com

Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hello @kinporsch,

Here is an old document from Gen8 era about SmartDrive.
HP SmartDrive carriers do not fit in ProLiant platforms prior to Gen8 servers. Likewise, drives designed for G7 and earlier systems will not fit into our Gen8 servers and server blades.

@Thomas985 

For system fan running at high speed, you may need to update the Smart Array firmware, because some Controller FW may not be compatible with HDD Firmware.
Here is an example, "System fans might go to 100% if connected drives were spun down."

Thank You!
I work with HPE but opinions expressed here are mine.
Recent Support Video Releases

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hello @kinporsch 

Let me know if you were able to resolve the issue.

If you have no further query and you are satisfied with the answer then kindly mark the topic as Solved so that it is helpful for all community members.

Thankyou
Suman

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

KeitthMura
Occasional Contributor

@Suman_1978 wrote:

Hello @kinporsch 

If you have no further query and you are satisfied with the answer then kindly mark the topic as Solved so that it is helpful for all community members.

Thankyou
Suman

Is this a new setup or an existing setup?

KeitthMura
Occasional Contributor

@KeitthMura wrote:

@Suman_1978 wrote: visit official site

Hello @kinporsch 

Thankyou
Suman

Is this a new setup or an existing setup?

This new steup is not working.