1753816 Members
8783 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP UPS management module managing multiple UPSs

Xavi.e.r
Frequent Advisor

HP UPS management module managing multiple UPSs

We bought the HP management module for 1 of our UPSs R3000XR. It's working fine however
With the old HP Rack and Power management was possible to manage multiple UPSs (UPS connected via serial to a server with the serial relay agent installed). I can't find a way to management multiple UPSs with this management module? is this possible? what do I need to do?
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you
11 REPLIES 11
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Re: HP UPS management module managing multiple UPSs

I have chekked an old user guide.
Second edition, january 2004.

According that, it should be possible to manage multible UPS' in a mixed enviroment.

You can even run a redundant setup, on "mixed" UPS'. - 1 using the serial card and 1 using the snmp card.
Configuration F, in the old manual.

I haven't used the snmp myself, and it's been like 3 or 4 years since i messed with it.
Check the manual.

Accept or Kudo

gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Is this the module?
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/power-protection/software/module/ups/sup_hardware.html

according to the the Q&A, the mangement server has been eliminated.

Still. Look at the user guide:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManualтМй=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64179&taskId=101&prodTypeId=18964&prodSeriesId=3362835#0
Still configuration F. Is a mixed enviroment.

Accept or Kudo

Xavi.e.r
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for your response. That's right, that's the module we have. But we are not configuring a server with redundant UPSs so I don't think none of the configuration would apply. What we are trying to achieve is to manage more than 1 UPS through the management module, in few words ability to see in the management module more than 1 UPS, its statistics configurations etc. See the example figure attached. We'd have 2 UPSs (R3000 XR), 1 with a management module and the other without it, both protecting different servers. None of these servers have redundant UPS connection. We were doing this before with Rack and Power management, but HP retired it that's why we're using now this module. I hope all this helps to understand what we are trying to do.
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

I have no experience with the new module.

I just took a qiuck look at the manual, yesterday, before I sent my second answer.

What you are trying to do should be possible.
Try read the manual very carefull.

If you can't find it in the manual, and if nobody, come with the solution here.
Then try to HP support, and ask them to come with the solution.

And I would like to know, not that i need it.

Accept or Kudo

James Crosland
Frequent Advisor

I'm not sure but i don't think this is possible, there are several ports on the modules but i believe they are for many servers to connect to one UPS, not for one UPS to manage serveral other UPS's.

We've recently moved to the mngt modules in our main server room (24 r3000 UPSs) and bought a module for each, we're connecting the agents over the LAN so each server talks to the 2 UPS its load is spread over.

I'm about to post a separate issue with a couple of UPS's not readingt the battery stats properly.
Xavi.e.r
Frequent Advisor

I have checked with HP and with HP UPS module you cannot manage multiple UPSs. You need to install a module on each UPS and manage the UPS through that module. I am disappointed with HP on this, since the management for this UPSs is not centralized as it was with the old software HP Rack and Power manager that they retired. bad for companies with several UPSs
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

I have just installed some new equipment during the past 2 days, including 2 R1500 G2's, and the new management card.

I would have loved to test it, but time didn't permit it, and the customer isn't using those features.

Have you tried using HP power & Rack manager?

The card it self, manage 1 UPS only, wich make sence. I would expect HPPRM to be able to manage the UPS still.

Accept or Kudo

gregersenj
Honored Contributor

I do expect that you need to set the IP information and the SNMP settings.

Accept or Kudo

gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Just studiet the manual for HPPM 4.0, and it say 1 management server for each UPS.

That is a step back :/.

Still, you can try the old manager.

Accept or Kudo