Servers - General
1753587 Members
6649 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HPE Ethernet 10Gb 2-port 530SFP + Adapter and Cisco SFP-H10GB-CU1M and compatibility

SOLVED
Go to solution
Pashkoalex
Occasional Visitor

HPE Ethernet 10Gb 2-port 530SFP + Adapter and Cisco SFP-H10GB-CU1M and compatibility

Hello

Does anybody give an information about the compatibility of Cisco SFP + Cisco SFP-H10GB-CU1M and HPE Ethernet 10Gb 2-port 530SFP + Adapter - will they work together?

3 REPLIES 3
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: HPE Ethernet 10Gb 2-port 530SFP + Adapter and Cisco SFP-H10GB-CU1M and compatibility

Hi @Pashkoalex, the HPE Ethernet 10Gb 2-port 530SFP+ Adapter (SKU: 652503-B21) requires supported Optics Transceivers/DAC Cables as per this Transceivers list. Basically these original HPE SFP+ Transceivers are supported:

• HPE BladeSystem c-Class 10Gb SFP+ SR Transceiver 455883-B21 <- Short Range (also known LR/LX)
  • HPE BladeSystem c-Class 10Gb SFP+ LR Transceiver 455886-B21 <- Long Range (also known SR/SX)

Since your HPE adapter is not exactly recent, please have a look at the HPE Server Networking Transceiver and Cable Compatibility Matrix of Agust 2018 available here to understand supported options (on latest HPE Compute Transceiver and Cable Hardware Matrix of June 2021 the above HPE adapter is clearly no longer listed, example here).

So the whole thing should work IF you're going to deploy this exact scenario:

HPE Adapter (probably on HPE Server, I suppose) - supported HPE SFP+ Transceviers by the HPE Adapter (as per above Matrix) <--- OM3/OM4 standard cabling ---> Whatever SFP+ Transceivers

Clearly if you are going to use a Short Range (SR) Transceiver on one end, the other end must use a SR Transceiver too (so SR with SR and LR with LR, cabling could change between SR and LR).

If instead here you're trying to use a Cisco DAC (10G) directly inserted into the HPE Adpater, that would be a risky option because, generally, a Vendor codes supported and certified options to let them being recognized by the card (in other words, it could/should not work at all and there is no support by HPE about that), adapters - generally (on a vendor by vendor basis) - need to recognize DACs exactly as they need to recognize supported optical transceivers...so I believe it will not work.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
Pashkoalex
Occasional Visitor

thank you for your answer,I want you to ask one more question - what are you're thinking about it?

https://community.hpe.com/t5/BladeSystem-Virtual-Connect/Cisco-Twinax-support-on-Virtual-Connect/td-p/5951231#.YUj-Q7hLg2w

parnassus
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi, I've no opinion about a 8 Years old thread...I don't understand what you're trying to achieve and what devices you're really dealing with (apart from the HPE Ethernet 10Gb 2-port 530SFP+ Adapter (SKU: 652503-B21) and the Cisco SFP-H10GB-CU1M compatible 10G Passive Twinax Cable you named in your first post). To avoid any issue/incompatibilliy between your HPE network adapater and the device at the other end I strongly suggest you to adopt the "SFP+ Transceiver to SFP+ Transceiver via a standard OM3/OM4 patch cable in between" approach, the only need you should be aware is to use supported SFP+ Transceivers on both ends for each end.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner