HPE Proliant dl160 gen9 bifurcation

How much can the PCIE slots bifucate, can they do x4/x4/x4/x4 or only x8/x8

10 REPLIES 10
ksram
HPE Pro

Re: HPE Proliant dl160 gen9 bifurcation

Hi @a157 ,

Thank you for the Post.

Dual bifurcation (quadfurcation) of PCIe Adapters to the Advanced PCIe Configuration Options will allow a x16 PCIe device to be bifurcated into four x4 devices. This option would only be used for PCIe Adapters that support this level of bifurcation.

This may be dependent on few other factors as well.

> Update the BIOS to the latest available.

> Follow the below steps :

From the System Utilities screen, select ystem Configuration > BIOS/Platform Configuration (RBSU) > PCIe Device Configuration > PCIe Bifurcation Options.

Select an option :

> EnabledтАФSplits a PCIe slot into two equal-width slots. Use this option for cards that support or require bifurcation.

> DisabledтАФDoes not bifurcate a PCIe slot.

Save your settings

Let us know if this helped.

Thank you

RamKS

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

a157
Visitor

PCIe Device Configuration > PCIe Bifurcation Options.
PCIe Device Configuration is not listed

There is also no PCIe cards installed right now, were trying to make sure the option is a thing before you buy stuff

Were on BIOS U20 v2.80 (10/16/2020)

ksram
HPE Pro

Hi,

Good day!

The option would be available once the PCI Card is installed and if the installed card supports the feature.

Else the Option would eithe wont be available or it would greyed out.

Thank you,

RamKS

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Chewy77
Occasional Visitor

I dont think you're right about it just "showing up" if the card requires it. I've tried 6 different brands and/or models of m.2 cards and not one of them has made the pcie options magically apprear. Also I tried them all on both my DL360 and my DL380 both are Gen9's. Both are updated to Bios 2.90. There is certainly an update that is mandatory for the options to appear. Not sure if its bios or some other firmware needing the update but the options in my RBSU settings have been exactly the same since 2015. Perhaps there is a patch to update the options in the RBSU? No sure about what I need to do to get the option to appear, but its certainly not by simply adding a card.

ksram
HPE Pro

Hi,

Good day!

I believe the BiFurcation is available on only few Servers. Mostly on Gen10 Servers only.

Thank you

RamKS

I work for HPE.

Accept or Kudo

Chewy77
Occasional Visitor

I'm not very interested in what you believe because it is incorrect and I hope the "I work for HPE" tag that you have isn't for real otherwise I would suggest you brush up on your employers products. A simple google search has brought up quite a few patches and fixes for bifurcation on HPE servers dating back to 2016 and to me it looks like the support for dual bifurcation started in late 2017. Considering Infiniband cards use bifurcation you would think HP would support it. Regardless, if you would take a peek at the following link you will see that there is support in Gen9 servers. And since you have clearly proven that typeing bifurcate into a search is too difficult, you can find the sentence, "Added support to configure the system to bifurcate PCIe Slot 1 on the DL360 Gen9 or PCIe Slot 2 on the DL380 Gen9." mid way through page 5. 

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=c05060771

I'm truly not trying to sound like a total jerk but please dont be so dismissive. Some of us have spent a very long time trouble shooting and could be very frustrated, hence the asking for help. The shear laziness of your response is offensive. 

I get it, gen10's have it set up natively, that wasn't the initial question. Essentially the question is, is there support for gen9's, and as i've pointed out there is. So the follow up would be, where do I find the proper firmware or settings to enable it.

Don't let me down RamKS, I'm sure if you put yur mind to it you can search your way to a real answer.... 

ksram
HPE Pro

Hi,

My apologies.

After checking few resources that PCIe bifurcation is enabled by default, post ROM version 1.52 (2015) in DL360 Gen9.

There is no BIOS option to disable or manage this feature, and available at hardware level with 3 or 2 slot riser combination.

"Added support to configure the system to bifurcate PCIe Slot 1 on the DL360Gen9 or PCIeSlot 2 on the DL380Gen9"

But the negotiating Part x8 / x4 would need the concerned manufacturer to look into the firmware and driver to correct the negotiated speed.

I can confirm this is available for DL360 and DL380 Gen9. As per architecture, this is not a customization in BIOS, hardware set capability of a slot to split the PCIe bandwidth in specific models.

Thank you

RamKS

I work for HPE.

Accept or Kudo

ehostlab

Hey, Did you find the option of x4 birfucation ??

AncientHippo

@Chewy77 wrote:

I dont think you're right about it just "showing up" if the card requires it. I've tried 6 different brands and/or models of m.2 cards and not one of them has made the pcie options magically apprear. Also I tried them all on both my DL360 and my DL380 both are Gen9's. Both are updated to Bios 2.90. There is certainly an update that is mandatory for the options to appear. Not sure if its bios or some other firmware needing the update but the options in my RBSU settings have been exactly the same since 2015. Perhaps there is a patch to update the options in the RBSU? No sure about what I need to do to get the option to appear, but its certainly not by simply adding a card.

Thanks for sharing useful post here.