How hot can a network card get?

PDP-Fan
Valued Contributor

How hot can a network card get?

I have this setup here:

1x DL380 Gen8, 2 CPU, 1 PCIe riser card
1x NC523SFP+ 2-port 10Gbit network card, PCIe
2x NC530SFP+ 2-port 10Gbit network card, PCIe

That means the three PCIe slots of this server are fully occupied.

I just noticed that the air that comes out from the PCI cage is about 50 Deg C. Then I opened the server cover and the heatsink of the top card (NC523) is at a whopping 80 Deg C. Unfortunately I can't measure the lower cards but I assume they are even a bit hotter.

Is this an acceptable temperature for these cards?
Is there a thermal limit for installing cards in a DL380 G8?
Is there a manual that explains these limits?

"If it seems illogical... you just don't have enough information"
4 REPLIES 4
ksram
HPE Pro

Re: How hot can a network card get?

Hi,

Thank you for the Post.

Sharing the quickspecs which has more information related to the Adapters mentioned.

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c04111574.pdf : Page 10

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getdocument.aspx?docname=c04111517# : Page 11

Also please try to update the Firmware and Driver of the Network adapters and also iLO which helps in issues related to Temperatures.

Thank you

RamKS

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

ksram
HPE Pro

Hi,

Good day!

May we please know if the shared information were helpful.

Thank you

RamKS

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

PDP-Fan
Valued Contributor

I guess you are referring to the operating temperature. This is the maximum temperature of the air surrounding the card. It does not describe the temperature of the heatsink which I measured.

But I also saw the power consuption of the cards and the cooler takes 9W while the hotter takes 17W. With the (almost) same heatsink size, it's obvious that the 17W card gets much hotter.

The question if 80 Deg C at the heatsink is normal was not answered. However I assume it's normal for this card. I would recommend not to use this model, especially if multiple cards are installed. The heat could also influence the reliability of the SFP's that get the hot exhaust right in their faces.

"If it seems illogical... you just don't have enough information"
ksram
HPE Pro

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

Here the Heat depends on various factors such as

> Additional PCI Cards installed and they may be altering air flow.

> Cables inside the server not routed properly.

> Hard drive blanks or power supply blanks or air baffled missing or not configured properly.

> Firmware's. (iLO, BIOS and of Adapters)

> Also it may require 6 Fans here

> Can try the Thermal settings to Maximum cooling to check if that helps here.

> You will be able to see the Thermal information with current reading values and Treshold on iLO GUI > System Information > Temperatures, which will help to get the information

So the Heatsink which is having 80deg may be okay unless if the Temperature exceeds the Treshold / caution levels.

Thank you

RamKS

I work for HPE.

Accept or Kudo