1753566 Members
6251 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Hyper M.2 x16 Card and ML10 Gen9

MelihEroglu
Visitor

Hyper M.2 x16 Card and ML10 Gen9

Hello Friends... One of my customer use Proliant ML10 Gen9 server with Server 2019 standard OS. On that server, there are 4x8TB sata Hard Drives with RAID 10 (bios raid, intel rapid storage). I need to extend the storage and my customer wants nvme ssd. You know there are no M.2 slot on motherboard. Therefore i am thinking to use Asus Hyper M.2 x16 V2 Card. I am planning to add 2x4TB nvme ssd to this card. I will plug this card to pci express x16 slot (cpu lane) and after i will use Windows Server Raid(Raid 0). So a result, my total nvme storage will be 8 TB single drive. Have you ever experienced kind of this setup? Have you ever used kind of this nvme unifying card? Thanks for your answer in advance and have a good day.

P.S: There is one single hard drive for boot. I am not planning to boot from ssd.

4 REPLIES 4
SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello,

M.2 drive  or card doesn’t support by this server.

HPE ProLiant ML10 Generation9 (Gen9) Quick space

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c04922941.pdf

HPE ProLiant ML10 Gen9 Server - Spare Parts

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=c05022660&docLocale=en_US

HPE ProLiant ML10 Gen9 Server - Option Parts

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=c05022658&docLocale=en_US#N10134

Please le me know if you have any other query.

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

MelihEroglu
Visitor

Hello. I have seen with my bare eyes that server recognizes nvme disk and able to boot from nvme drive. I had a cheap single m2 to pci express adaptor and i just plugged that to pci express x16 slot (cpu lane) and windows just booted (drive had windows installation in it). My question is that hyper cards, unifying cards are gonna work with multiple nvme drives?  

SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello,

I can suggest only as per the suggested documents.

I would suggest contact HPE technical sales team for more clarification.

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

MelihEroglu
Visitor

Hello friends...I had the card and disks and i tested what i want. Here is the result;  If you are gonna use any nvme disk unifying card (mine was Asus Hyper M.2 x16 V2) you must have "pci express bifurcation" feature on your motherboard. This feature is available for all-new motherboards( for example x570, z390, and 490) This tech divides the x16 slot into smaller slots. It means you can use x16 slot like you have 4 pieces x4 or 2 pieces x8 slots. You can set this up from bios. My server in this topic was HP ML 10 Gen9. As i read only Gen 10 servers have this feature. Anyway, i connected my 3 nmve disks to the unifying card and i plugged it into the x16 slot but the server recognizes only a single disk.. As i said its bcoz of "pci bifurcation" feature... I also tried with a single "m2 to pci express" x4 adaptor. I plugged 2 disk to 2 different slots with that adaptor but the server still recognizes only one of them...Server is able to boot from nvme disk also you can install Windows. So my Raid plan with nvme disks is impossible with my server and we decided to use a single disk. Have a good day all