Servers - General
1753830 Members
9229 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Is there a new problem with SAS "DS" disk drives?

PDP-Fan
Valued Contributor

Is there a new problem with SAS "DS" disk drives?

We had two cases, in two totally different locations, where ML350 Gen10 suddenly got veeery slow and were practically unusable. Both systems running ESX.
One system had a RAID 5 and a USB device for boot and the other a RAID 6 for boot and data.

It turned out that in both cases one faulty hard drive was the cause of the extreme slowlyness. After removing the drive from the system, speed went up to normal and everything worked again. We replaced the faulty drive, rebuild was OK.... problem fixed.

My question is now: Has someone else experienced similar problems with Seagate (HPE) ST600MP, SAS DS drives? (HP Spare: 870794-001) Or other similar drives? And Gen10 Servers?

BTW: "DS" stands for digitally signed firmware, a new protection feature against firmware tampering.

"If it seems illogical... you just don't have enough information"
2 REPLIES 2
SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Re: Is there a new problem with SAS "DS" disk drives?

Hello,

This is not an issue with the product or hard disk.

This is fix& failure support. ( Replace the drive against failed drive.)

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

PDP-Fan
Valued Contributor

Re: Is there a new problem with SAS "DS" disk drives?

Well... you know, if this was just a failed drive, I would not complain at all.

But it was a new situation that a failed drive makes a system completely unusable but is not indicated by the Smart array controller as failed. The only hint was that the failed drive had a lot of I/O going on (green lights rotating) and the other drives had not.

And even more confusing was that two ML350 at totally different sites had exactly the same problem with exactly the same model of drive.

So my question was, are there more people experiencing that kind of problem or was it just coincidence??

"If it seems illogical... you just don't have enough information"