180AS 2160AS KVM RP163 PY252 W7941
DVE DSO-142L  Tamura  

Personal Info Erased

lcard

Re: KVM - Power Supply problem

I need know this solution please

henrytrinh

I am experiencing the same issue with multiple devices. Did you ever find a solution?

PDP-Fan
Valued Contributor

Hello there

As I wrote in my post earlier, you will have to repair or replace the power supply. Most likely the problem are the electrolytic capacitors. If you have experience in soldering you can do that yourself.

If you are in Switzerland or not too far away from it, you could send me the unit for a cost estimate and repair. But keep in mind that such devices can be bought relatively cheap at the hardware broker market.
Or you look for an electronics repair guy near to you....

"If it seems illogical... you just don't have enough information"
ken-mchome
Visitor

Hi i have 3 KVM and the power supply is not working can anyone help me Please, i have a home network and i cannot pay $150. and more to get them repaired

I would appreciate and help.

Thank you Ken

PDP-Fan
Valued Contributor

http://www.instructables.com/id/Repair-your-electronics-by-replacing-blown-capacit/?ALLSTEPS

This is a good repair instruction. It's not a KVM Switch but the problem may be th same and the way to repair is identical. I would change ALL the capacitors regardless of how they look. Sometimes even the perfect looking ones can be bad. Fortunetely the most expensive ones (rated 200V to 450V) at the primary side of the power supply are in most cases not faulty. Make sure that you also replace the very small ones especially those next to the control chip. The look innocent but sometimes they are the only problem.

Also check the fuse first. Sometimes it's only the fuse...

Many KVM Switches have standard industrial power supplies inside. Look at some electronics distributors for a power supply with the same voltages, currents and size. You may find one that fits exactly. The downside is that these P.S. will cost about $30 to $50 per piece.... saving money can become difficult.

ken-mchome
Visitor

Ok so i though i could go with a Mean Well Model: RS-15-5 , and it should have all the specs i need , well no they don't work on all 3 KVM , so i looked into getting the caps i need and what should i say , i have looked throw 20 Caps company pages and have only found 1 cap match  it is always the size that does not match , would you know where i can get them ? it looks like i need (3) 47uf 25VDC  17mm x26mm ,  ( 3) 2200uf 10VDC 10mm x 25mm , (9) 470uf 10VDC  6.3mm x 15mm ,

Thank You

ChrisNTL
Occasional Visitor

I have in the past got caps from here...

https://www.digikey.ca/products/en#cat-3

I know they do list dimensions. I have also had luck on ebay for a cap I needed for my daughter's CD player.

ChrisNTL
Occasional Visitor

I just found this listing all specs and parts.

I know it will help me as some caps are hard to read on board when I want to find replacements.

PDP-Fan
Valued Contributor

It seems someone made a great effort to draw this manual.

One little correction about the capacitor lifetime. A lifetime of 10 000 hours seems not very much. But keep in mind that those 10 000 hours are calculated at a temperature of 105 degree C (or whatewer your cap is rated). If the operating temperature is less than that, the lifetime will be much longer.

In fact a 10 000 hour cap is not too bad at all. The problem is that cheap, noname, crappy caps are used for cheap and crappy power supplies. I suspect this is done deliberately to make them fail shortly after warranty runs out.
I had a Fortinet firewall with a failed P.S. last month. They used 3 good quality NipponChemicon caps and one noname. Guess which one failed...?
Why is an engineer doing that? Why does he choose 3 good ones and one bad one?

I recommend to use 105 deg C capacitors. (Panasonic or NipponChem) The 85C caps will not live very long in such a dense populated power supply. 105C is standard with all PC and server applications. (power sup./mainboard)