108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: KVM switch for my UNIX servers

SOLVED
Go to solution
pasha_4

KVM switch for my UNIX servers

Hi Gents

I have 6 UNIX servers and a single console. It becomes tadious for me to manage all the servers. Is there a way that I can switch on to other server using some device (KVM) for my UNIX servers

thanks regards
8 REPLIES 8
Mahesh Kumar Malik
Honored Contributor

Hi Pasha

Yes, you can use KVM switch with Multiple Unix servers. You need have Graphics card on servers ( say HP 6150B) before doing so.

Regards
Mahesh
The Real MD
Valued Contributor

I think there are two options, there is a box you can buy that can take multiple console cables and using a rotary selector you choose which server the terminal displays.

Or you could use a web console that allows access from a web browser over the network which means you dont have to be stuck in the server room. which is a bonus if its a bit noisy or cold.

I hope this helps

Martin.
pasha_4

Hi! once again,

I hope i cannot go for graphics card but I can go for a BOX type of thing. Is there any BOX kind of thing where I connect my servers and use a digital or analog switch to change the servers, that can rescue me from troubles. Any company that has these products pl let me know and the models also.

regards

Pasha
Keith Bryson
Honored Contributor

Hi Pasha

If these are HP9000 servers, they may have the telnet/LAN console functionality. You can then patch these telnet consoles to a switch and use the telnet command to centrally manage these servers from another Unix server/PC. I say HP9000 as I'm not sure if Sun/IBM/etc provide a LAN console.

If you go down this path, consider the security side with this set-up. We are using LAN consoles here, but all are patched into an isolated/separated 100Mb hub.

HTH - Keith
Arse-cover at all costs
pasha_4

Yes, I am using HP9000 severs with HP-UX and I do have a lan console also for each server. But for every operation, I have to remove the console cable, connect it to other and do it every time when ever I want to do something on any of the servers. We are into development and every now and then I need to shutdown the servers and restart them. I hope u guys understand my problem. Any BOX that can solve my problem such that I connect these console cables coming from the MP to a switch and switch manually to the servers required
The Real MD
Valued Contributor
Solution

http://www.42u.com/nti-terminal-switch.htm

is this the sort of thing you are after..

regards

Martin.
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

We are in the process of consolidating our KVM solution across the board using Avocent devices, which support KVM solution to both wintel and serial port console based boxes like any unix server. They are a bit pricey but flexibility in a large datacenter outweight the costs.

If you are talking about a few unix-only servers for a solution, I can suggest you to look into a terminal server type solution where you can telnet to the termianl server then address every serial port on it by its port number. It worked well with VAX/VMS consoles at the time, and it works well with unix consoles.

We use WTI KVM switches and log into them with ssh (ssh -l super KVM##). Once logged into a switch as the super user the commands are fairly easy and straight forward. You can use it both locally and remotely and is a nice solution. Here's a little ditty on it:

http://www.bomara.com/WTI/scm-16.htm
"All there is to thinking is seeing something noticeable which makes you see something you weren't noticing which makes you see something that isn't even visible." - Norman Maclean