Servers - General
1748180 Members
4342 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ML350 G9 as a home based multi use server.

Fullion
Occasional Contributor

ML350 G9 as a home based multi use server.

A few months ago I had a ML350 G9 server donated to me to replace the old Thecus Chinese black box I had been using for a Plex media storage server.  The HPE server had never actually been used and was replaced when Gen 10 was rolled out.  As it sits it is a dual Xeon E5-2640 v3 @ 2.60GHz, twin sticks of 16Gb 2133MHz memory, redundant 800W Platinum PSU, and was populated with a bay of SAS 300-600Gb 2.5" HDD's.   I added a cheap soundcard along with an older videocard and have been using it for a Plex server, and in the future will be hosting a website for my wifes business.

I have been trying to figure out if the server can be converted to house 3.5" SAS/SATA drives.  I have already aquired an expansion card so would just need the chassis hardware and backplanes to make it happen. 

Is this possible or should I just invest elswhere and look at a different server/enclosure altogether?

3 REPLIES 3
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

There was a recent change for the Gen10 and now you can mix LFF and SFF disk bays. WOrth to check in quickspec if this applies for the Gen9 too.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Fullion
Occasional Contributor

Given the gen 9 and gen 10 designs differ fo how the drive bay cages are designed I highly doubt that would have any affect of gen 9 equipment.

SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello,

The most common form factors for HDDs in enterprise systems are 2.5-inch, also known as small form factor (SFF), and 3.5-inch, also known as large form factor (LFF). The 2.5-inch and 3.5-inch measurements represent the approximate diameter of the platter within the drive enclosures.

You can use the below part to convert from SFF to LFF.

779083-001: 8-bay hot-plug large form factor (LFF) backplane board - For either SAS or SATA hard drives - Mounts on the two bottom rows of the front hard drive cage
726561-B21: ML350 Gen9 LFF Media Cage Kit

As well as follow the HPE ProLiant ML350 Generation9 (Gen9) ( Page NO 16, 23 & 32) more clarification.

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getpdf.aspx/c04375628.pdf

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo