1752805 Members
5881 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

MTBF

RakeshChopra
Occasional Contributor

MTBF

Please help me to get documentation of MTBF & MTTR for ML30 Gen10. 

Thanks & Regards

Rakesh Chopra

1 REPLY 1
Jazz_ISS
HPE Pro

Re: MTBF

Hello Rakesh, 

I don't think any vendor would provide MTBF for a server.
The simple reason is that the reliability of a system depends on the reliability of its components.
You would have to look at the MTBF of the components, since there failure far out wieghs the server itself and this is why there is not a publish failure rate for the server system.

Theoretically, the MTBF for any system (not a server) is the minimum MTBF of all the MTBF of its components.
However with a server, because of redundant componets, the MTBF is much higher and not easy to calculate.

HPE servers have internal redundancies and can be extremely stable in production. But that depends on your environment, the disk array/composition, types of disks, RAM quantity, CPU configuration, thermal characteristics, power, etc.

Mean Time To Repair (MTTR) refers to the amount of time required to repair a system and restore it to full functionality.
The MTTR clock starts ticking when the repairs start and it goes on until operations are restored. This includes repair time, testing period, and return to the normal operating condition.

To calculate MTTR, divide the total maintenance time by the total number of maintenance actions over a given period of time.
So, while MTTR measures availability, MTBF measures availability and reliability. The higher the figure of the MTBF, the longer the system will likely run before failing.
Expressed mathematically, the lapses of time from one failure to the next can be calculated using the sum of operational time divided by the number of failures.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo