Servers - General
1753877 Members
7459 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MicroServer Gen10 Plus Intelligent Provisioning: "firmware component failed to download"

MJFH
Advisor

MicroServer Gen10 Plus Intelligent Provisioning: "firmware component failed to download"

Hi!

I'm trying to provision my brand new ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Plus via Intelligent Provisioning. As i'm supposed to do, according to the note in the box, i've tried to update the firmware, any firmware. It all fails to download.

This is unexpected behaviour, because i'd like to update my firmware.

More context:

1. I'm using the bare Server, as it came out of the box, no operating system installed
  2. It's the Pentium Gold variant
  3. I've already upgraded RAM to 32GB - no errors reported
  4. I don't have an iLO Enablement Kit
  5. Network is connected to "1 Gb RJ-45 port 1/iLO shared network port", as it's called in the User Guide
  6. System Information (the "i" icon on the top) reports a DHCP IP that makes sense
  7. the firmware updater shows available updates, with different version numbers than currently installed
  8. i can "REFRESH" the list without errors and have the same list presented as in 7. - that tells me that MY side of the network is working as expected

What i did

1. The Firmware Updater recommends to update iLO 1st, despite (see 4.) not having an iLO Enablement Kit installed.
  2. I proceed as recommended, the iLO update (2.11 -> 2.42) is already auto-selected, i click "SUBMIT".
  3. I am presented with the Job Configuration Viewer, "1 jobs waiting" (the iLO update), i click "LAUNCH NOW", the machine thinks for a few seconds.
  4. A "Warning" pop-up opened, telling me "Update Complete - you must reboot to apply your changes", i click OK.
  5. I am presented with the Job Viewer, the green progress bar says "One or more firmware update failed.... 100%", i click DETAILS
  6. "This firmware component failed to download", i press ESC and click REBOOT, the machine reboots
  7. i enter Intelligent Provisioning again (F10 during boot), i click PERFORM MAINTENANCE, then Firmware Update
  8. i de-select the iLO update and select the 1st option "HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Plus (U48) Servers" - the system ROM (current 2.10, available 2.20), i SUBMIT and LAUNCH NOW
  9. the same "Warning Update Complete" pop-up openes, i click OK
  10. now, the progress bar, as well as the DETAILS, say the same as in the previous attempt
  11. ..."failed to download"

What's wrong here?

Did i miss a step or a memo somewhere?

11 REPLIES 11
Ihaqueit
Trusted Contributor

Re: MicroServer Gen10 Plus Intelligent Provisioning: "firmware component failed to do

Can you attach error screenshot?

I Haq
MJFH
Advisor

Re: MicroServer Gen10 Plus Intelligent Provisioning: "firmware component failed to do

I'd love to, but i don't see how. This Forum doesn't seem to provide an image upload function.

Ihaqueit
Trusted Contributor

MJFH
Advisor

I'm not sure if this is the correct link. It redirects me to resources regarding the MicroServer Gen10, which is an AMD Opteron machine that's twice as tall as my Intel-based Gen10 Plus. Are you sure this is what i should look at?

MJFH
Advisor

I've been assigned an HPE support case number. (thank you)

As we continue our investigation, i've created a packet capture for the duration of my failed update attempt. I might supply this ~950kB pcap file to a trusted party, if need be.

Deemo
Occasional Visitor

I wonder if there is an issue with shipped intelligent provisioning - as I've encountered the similar issue

Please do post any solution 

MJFH
Advisor

Hey @Deemo i'm kinda glad that i'm not the only one with this issue. This tells me, that my/our networking infrastructure/settings are at least similar. OR HPE is still struggling with their scheduled maintenance.

Unless HPE does 1st, i will post a solution to this strangeness, if there is one.

I live in DE/EU, and i'd rather utilise my customer protection free return+refund period (2 weeks), rather than being stuck in bug reporting - don't get me wrong, i'd just buy another Gen10 Plus again, and repeat the process with a different serial number - i love how tiny, yet powerful, these Gen10+ are! <3. Perfect pro-grade home-server - it even has a sufficient amount of network ports to host a trustworthy firewall VM.

ksram
HPE Pro

Hi,

Good day!

Please try updating the Intelligent Provisioning to the latest available : https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/swd/detail?swItemId=MTX_eef93d679da84afd8794b87ce6#tab-history

If the issue still persists please try using SPP for updating the Firmware.

Let us know if you need the links for SPP.

Thank you

RamKS

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

MJFH
Advisor

Hi @ksram!

Updating the Intelligent Provisioning (IP) itself did not make things better. In fact the IP seems to be gone now. It doesn't boot up anymore, when i press F10. "Fixing" an issue by removing the defective component would've been the least desirable option.

1. Does the Intelligent Provisioning recovery ISO need to be booted off of an actual CD/DVD, or is a USB flash drive just fine? (it won't cope with Ventoy, but writing the raw ISO to USB flash resulted in a bootable medium)
  2. I'd like to have a confirmation, that i DO NOT NEED an iLO Enablement Kit card installed to have any kind of success with updating any firmware.
  3. How do i get the Intelligent Provisioning back in working order?