108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Monitor UPS for AC power loss

SOLVED
Go to solution
Lisa Dingman
Regular Advisor

I am in the process of installing the hp power manager on the HP. A prompt comes up for a port to use for web communications with a default of '80'. Is there a way that I can tell if this port is already being used, can I accept the defaults. I have absolutely no knowlege of networking so would appreciate any help you could offer.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

This is the port for the web server. IMHO port 80 is not a good choice, select another!

You can check for free ports using "lsof".

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Lisa Dingman
Regular Advisor

Thank you will do, when it asks me for a serial port to search for device the two choices are: should it be 1p0 - but it is not listed? I could be thinking incorrectly though. Please advise.
1) /dev/tty2p0
2)/dev/tty3p0

However this is the following data:output of /etc/ups_conf file and isoscan:
# @(#)
shutdown_delay_mins:1 shutdown_timeout_mins:5
upstty:/dev/tty1p0 # Port 2 for UPS rs-232

# ioscan -fun -C tty
Class I H/W Path Driver S/W State H/W Type Description
====================================================================
tty 0 0/0/1/0 rmp3f01 CLAIMED INTERFACE PCI class(255,0) (103c1303)
tty 1 0/0/1/1 rmp3f01 CLAIMED INTERFACE PCI SimpleComm (103c1302)
tty 2 0/0/1/2 asio0 CLAIMED INTERFACE PCI Serial (103c1048)
/dev/diag/mux2 /dev/mux2 /dev/tty2p0
tty 3 250/1 asio0 CLAIMED INTERFACE Built-in RS232C
/dev/diag/mux3 /dev/mux3 /dev/tty3p0
Brian Vo
Trusted Contributor

Lisa,

Find UserGuides for HP PM and HP MM here:
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/power-protection/rpmp.html

-HPPM is a power management SW solution. Install on a dedicate management server and use it to monitor UPS and other shutdown agents (installed for each server need to be protected in case power loss).

-HPMM is a HW solution (your new UPS would come with a HP module in its slot). All management SW is embedded in the module. All you need is to install agent on every protected server.

Brian
Lisa Dingman
Regular Advisor

It looks like the software installed, thee were the last messages. If I do a grep for DEVMANBE shows process running. Can anyone tell me where to go next, how do you access the software now?
Is your UPS connected to a network? [yN]: n
Please select a serial port to search for a UPS device on:
1) /dev/tty2p0
2) /dev/tty3p0
[1]: 2
Looking for serial devices:
Trying: SerialHID
Trying: Pro UPS
Trying: XCP
Found XCP Device (Model R5500 XR) at 19200.

Starting UPS Device Manager Service:
EXE : DevManBE
done.

# ps -ef |grep DevManBE
root 15855 1 0 10:47:37 pts/0 0:00 /opt/DevMan/DevManBE daemon
root 15921 8420 0 10:49:50 pts/1 0:00 grep DevManBE
Lisa Dingman
Regular Advisor

According to the docs which are a tad confusing, you should get a message 'Would you like to start HP Power Manager?', yet I got Starting UPS Device Manager Service: EXE: DevManBE. Have I done something wrong? I apologize for my ignorance, am very new to this and flying by the seat of my pants so to speak.

lease select a serial port to search for a UPS device on:
1) /dev/tty2p0
2) /dev/tty3p0
[1]: 2
Looking for serial devices:
Trying: SerialHID
Trying: Pro UPS
Trying: XCP
Found XCP Device (Model R5500 XR) at 19200.

Starting UPS Device Manager Service:
EXE : DevManBE
done.
You have mail in /var/mail/root
Lisa Dingman
Regular Advisor

I think I might be making a little headway. If I go to a browser and to the ip address of our server it gives me a login box for HP Power Manager, however I tried using root login and pw and that will not work, can someone tell me where I would find that information please.
Lisa Dingman
Regular Advisor

Brian,
Thank you, I do have the manuals and believe it or not have been trying to decipher them. I installed the HP PowerManager on our rx6600, so was that incorrect? Are you saying that we need to have a separate dedicated server to install HPPM on, and that it won't work the way I have done it? I did install and can find it going to IP address but won't take username and password, but for all I know it may not be correct. If we cannot install HPPM on our server we might be better off with the hardware solution. I appreciate all of everyone's help.
Lisa Dingman
Regular Advisor

Brian,
I apologize, to clarify, you are saying that the ups r5500 came with the module inside neccessary for hppm. Our vendor told us we needed to purchase another part to make this work, I am thinking it is what you are referring to? Is there a way I can check to see if we have it?
TTr
Honored Contributor

It looks like the power monitor service is running. You can try connecting to it. Use a web browser (a PC in the same network as the rx6600) and point it to your rx6600 server. You should get a login screen, the default login is "admin" and the password is also "admin"