Servers - General
1753842 Members
7942 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Moving a complete array from one smart array controller to another between generations?

SOLVED
Go to solution
timocoz
Occasional Contributor

Moving a complete array from one smart array controller to another between generations?

Hello HPE Community! Is it possible to move a complete array from one controller to another...between smart array/server generations? Specifically Gen9 to Gen10? I've found some language that pertains to same generation, but nothing specifically saying you can do it across gen's. Thanks for any guidance.

6 REPLIES 6
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Moving a complete array from one smart array controller to another between generations?

I would guess from the controller point of view yes, it is still drive roaming. But you will miss many drivers in the OS, so it will probably not boot.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
timocoz
Occasional Contributor

The client is running a customized open source Linux variant (Yocto)...unsupported, with a device driver on that image for the Gen9 SA controller.   The OS will be identical, as they are only moving to Gen10 because the can no longer source Gen9 new.  I have more to uncover but,  I do plan to recommend Gen9 Renew as an option since it has worked well for them thus far.  Thanks for the response, this get's us a little closer.  

Btw, for those of you interested, here is a link to information on Drive Roaming: https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=mmr_kc-0112214

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@timocoz wrote:

The client is running a customized open source Linux variant (Yocto)...unsupported, with a device driver on that image for the Gen9 SA controller.   The OS will be identical, as they are only moving to Gen10 because the can no longer source Gen9 new.  I have more to uncover but,  I do plan to recommend Gen9 Renew as an option since it has worked well for them thus far.  Thanks for the response, this get's us a little closer.  

Btw, for those of you interested, here is a link to information on Drive Roaming: https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=mmr_kc-0112214

They are going to have issues moving to Gen10.  The drivers are different, Gen 9 Smart Array uses 'hpsa' and most Gen 10 Smart Array controllers use 'smartpqi'.  They will need to build 'smartpqi' into their custom kernel.   I'm pretty sure the underlying RAID technology between Gen 9 and  Gen 10 controllers is still the same so drive roaming is still supported.  There is also a 'megaraid' based Gen10 controller that uses yet a different driver.   I'm not familiar with the 'MR' based controller. I'll need to verify with the storage team that the 'MR" based controller is capable of utilizing the arrays built on the other controllers.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
timocoz
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Mr. Vance.  This is helpfull and fills in more of the puzzle pieces.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro
Solution

Drives cannot 'roam' between Smart Array SR (SmartRAID) controllers and the new Smart Array MR (Megaraid) controllers. This chart explains the naming framework for Gen10 controllers

SmartArray_Naming_Gen10.PNG

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
timocoz
Occasional Contributor

I think that wraps it up.  He's either sticking with Gen9 via Renew or baking in a new custom 'smartpqi' driver for Gen10.  Thanks again Mr. Vance and all.