Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NVMe disk firmware rollback

paoloP
Regular Visitor

NVMe disk firmware rollback

Hello all,

we hit a potential issue with a FW recently released [September 27] for certain disk models  (LO2000KEFJU)  (HPK4 version).

In short, the servers seem to lose disks after the reboot needed to flash the disk firmware (rebooted 2 servers, lost 2 disks). Unfortunately we rolled out the fiirmware to a lot of servers (in our process we first mass-deploy patches, and then schedule the reboots with the application owners). So now I find myself with another 40 servers pendign a reboot, with this frmware primed to load on boot.

Does anybody know if there is a way to tell the disk NOT to apply the fimware pending for install at the next reboot? Can I just override it by forcing deployment of the previous version? 

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: NVMe disk firmware rollback

Gen10?

Not sure about, but I would look into the ILO5 repository for pending installs.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
paoloP
Regular Visitor

Thanks. G9, unfortunately.

If I look at the bios package install logs the status is listed as below. I need a way to tell the disk NOT to apply this firmware (we tried on a third server today, it lost a disk too).

[ Nov 19 15:08:01 ] 880973568: Sending Resume Background Activity command to device HBA:3692555625
[ Nov 19 15:08:01 ] Device HBA:3692555625 does not support OPERATION_WRITE_BMIC_COMMAND
[ Nov 19 15:08:02 ] Devices [Drive CVMD731500042P0YGN (NVME HBA PCIe Data Center SSD in Slot ATTR_VALUE_SLOT_UNKNOWN)]: 21
[ Nov 19 15:08:02 ] Deferred flashes will be performed on next system reboot
[ Nov 19 15:08:02 ] Devices [Drive CVMD731500242P0YGN (NVME HBA PCIe Data Center SSD in Slot ATTR_VALUE_SLOT_UNKNOWN)]: 21
[ Nov 19 15:08:02 ] Devices [Drive CVMD7321007J2P0YGN (NVME HBA PCIe Data Center SSD in Slot ATTR_VALUE_SLOT_UNKNOWN)]: 21
[ Nov 19 15:08:02 ] Internal Exit Status: 21
[ Nov 19 15:08:02 ] See log at /var/cpq/CP036935_2018_11_19_15_07_58.log

sudhirsingh
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

I feel you can avoid  "pending for install at the next reboot",

however i would suggest you to report this to HPE(open a case) to investigate this, if there is an issue with the drive firmware release.

Regards,

Sudhir

I work for HPE
paoloP
Regular Visitor

Thanks for your answer! We have 3 cases open, one for each server that lost a disks after the reboot. 

Do you know how I could avoid the FW upgrade at the next reboot? Would forcing the disk to load of a previous version (HPK3, in this case) via setup /force  do it?

Thanks.

sudhirsingh
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

There is a correction my last post:

Please read following line as: "I feel you can't avoid " pending for install at the next reboot,

However , can you please let us know the drive firmware status before reboot?

Since you have already submitted cases with HPE, we would request you to kindly follow-up on the cases for resolution.

Regards,

Sudhir

I work for HPE