3076 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: No Video - KVM IP Expansion Module

Jim Mulgrew
Advisor

No Video - KVM IP Expansion Module

Hi -

I have an HP KVM IP Console, actually many of them. My problem comes up when I am trying to hook up an 8 port expansion module to the unit. I've downloaded and gone through the "Deploying HP Consoling Solutions" document and everything appears okay. I've connected a CAT5 cable from port 16 on the KVM unit into the "IN" port on the expansion module. I've hooked up 3 more servers to the expansion unit and when I power them on they show up on the console. So far so good. I highlight the server on port 1 and get the video but when I try to view port 2 or 3, no video, even thought I can see those servers posting through their indicator lights. I thought maybe I had to define the expansion unit on the KVM like we did with the old style but I don't have that option when I go to "devices". Am I blindly missing something here? Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Jim:

Have you tried swapping PS/2 Adaptors? Sometiems the adaptors have different firmware and need to be updated. if you can put the first adaptor that works on port 2 or 3, you can rule out the expansion module and/or the adaptors.

Eitherway, you should probably make sure all your adaptors and switch are up to date with the firmware.

You can also try moving the module from port 16 to another port on the switch. (just for laughs and giggles maybe?)

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Jim Mulgrew
Advisor

"laughs and giggles" you sound like me when I talk to some of our engineers at remote sites, "just humor me here". (grin)

I'll give those ideas a shout. I should have tried moving ports before posting the message. I'll let you know the results.

- Jim
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Jim... Any relation to Kate?

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Jim Mulgrew
Advisor

I can only wish we were related! (grin)

Sorry for the delay in my response, between the weather and a sinus infection I hadn't made it over to the datacenter until yesterday afternoon. After many attempts and pulling the two "bad" servers out of the rack, it turned out that our VAR had used replacement memory on those two that they hadn't used on the 3rd one. That memory was not compatible with that server but they obviously never tried to power on the systems before shipping to us. They've got a lot of explaining to do. (grin) Thanks for your help.

- Jim