5822 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Please help - monitoring t1500xr ups to auto-shutdown on failure

SOLVED
Go to solution
Scott_325

Please help - monitoring t1500xr ups to auto-shutdown on failure

I have been pulling my hair out on what should be fairly trivial.

I have a t1500xr with the 6 port card. I have two independent servers (attached to port 2 and 4 of the card). I want the simplest way to have my machines shutdown when a power failure occurs and the ups is almost out of power. I can't seem to figure out what combination of insight managers, power management, etc is needed on my machine. I tried installing hp rack and power manager but can't figure out what to do next (no ups is showing up, trying to install an agent says I need insight manager). I tried installing the insight manager 7.1 but could not make heads or tails of what to do next (and it seems extremely heavyweight for the simple task I want). I tried installing cpm 1.8 but that said it needed insight manager :-) (going in circles)

Can someone please let me know the easiest apporach and exactly where I need to find the software to install.

Thanks in advance.

Scott
3 REPLIES 3
Steve Tran
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Scott,

You really only need:

1) HP Power Manager 3.x (downloadable from http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/power-protection/software/power-manager/index.html)
2) See my reply here about using HPPM with 6-port card http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=698074 . Please note that HPPM 3.1 is for Windows/Linux and 3.2 is for HP-UX platform.
3) The T1500XR UPS has 2 load segments. Server attached/configured to port 2 of the card will be associated to LS1. Server 2 connected to port4 is tied to LS2. Via the 6-port card connection, each server installed with HPPM Management Server component with see the load segment as a "logical" UPS. eg. if HPPM on server 1 shuts down the UPS, it really just shuts down LS1.
4) HPPM can manage and operate without IM 7.1. I would also recommend you to uninstall HPRPM and CPM 1.8 software to avoid any conflict with managing the UPS.

Post your reply here if you need additional information.

Steve
Scott_325

I installed the power manager software. However, the service does not start (I selected start service and nothing happens). I think I may have some residual stuff from the insight manager etc still on the machine. Any additional ideas?

Also, I noticed that the power manager seems to replace IIS'es web server. We are hosting web-sites on these machines. Is there a way to prevent the admin pages from disabling our web sites?

Thanks.
Steve Tran
Trusted Contributor

Scott,

1) Make sure you have "live" network connection to the HPPM machine. This issue has been found with ver 3.x and will be fixed in the next release of the software.
2) When you configure HPPM webport, if you already have IIS running on port 80, select a different port number for HPPM webserver to run on. The start configuration, you may either click "Start->All Programs->HP Power Manager->Configure HP Power Manager" or right click on the battery tray icon and select "Configure". When you complete the configuration process, please allow a minute or so for the HPPM process to restart with the new webport.

Thanks,
Steve