cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power Protection Agent and Blade-Servers

Frank Sauerbier
Frequent Advisor

Power Protection Agent and Blade-Servers

We have 3 RT3000 connected to a c7000 Blade enclosure and equipped with management cards. The blades are W2003 servers. The PPA is installed.
Problem: the PPA-symbol is only green, if all servers are up and running. When only 1 server is down the symbol on every server changes to red.
Is this a configuration problem or is it a "feature"?

Regards
Frank
3 REPLIES 3
Brian Vo
Trusted Contributor

Re: Power Protection Agent and Blade-Servers

Hi Frank,

Yes It's a feature but seems not quite fit to C7000. In most cases, server-UPS, we like to keep monitoring constantly the communication between the servers and the HPMM card. If one lost communication, the icon is turned red to alarm user pays attention on finding out why. On C7000, the enclosure is powered, not directly to each individual blade but the communication lost anyway.

We have discussed an enhanced feature by allow user to click on the icon and select the option to power off the server intentionally, in that case, icon won't turn red.

Brian
Frank Sauerbier
Frequent Advisor

Hi Brian,
if I understand right, we would have the same behaviour with a group of e.g. tower servers connected to one management-card.
If one of them has been shut down all icons turn to red.
But that would mean that I have to check every minute the ups homepage because I cannot recognize if there is a power failure.
Can I avoid this?

Regards
Frank
Brian Vo
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

All icons will be green if:
-There is good communication between HPMM attached devices) and all PPA installed on blades/servers
-UPS has no alarm.

If there is any reason you have to switch off power one of the blades in an extended time then remove the attached device from the list. The rest would be green.

Brian