5923 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Power solution for rack

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jason Starkey

Power solution for rack

Currently we have 3 1000 series 42u rack, they contain several DL series servers in each rack in addition to other peripherals. All racks also contain 4 UPS 3000xr and we have the power load distributed to give us redundant power to each server. Currently one of our racks was configured with PDUs and the other 2 do not have PDUs, only the 4 UPS with redundant power supplies in each server. We would like a single management server to be notified when power is out, and to shut all the servers down until power is back on...what would be a good solution for this? Currently one rack has the 6 serial port cards in the UPS and the other two have only the single serial port in each UPS. We inherited these systems and would like to get them all configured the same with one management server controlling all of them on the network, to give us a centralized location to manage them from. Thanks for any useful ideas!!!
3 REPLIES 3
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Power solution for rack

Jason:

Have you looked at the HP Rack and Power Manager software?

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/power-protection/software/index.html

Also, do your serial cards have NIC's on them or do the UPS's have NIC interfaces for management?

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Jason Starkey

I have looked at that software solution, and I think that is the way we should go, but as far as how the hardware is setup, I think I might have to purchase the serial with nic option cards, because the UPS I have do not have NICs on them...but with the PDUs does this software still work? And these leads to other questions as well...such as the different loads on the server, and the software triggering a shut down command to the servers only if both power supplies switch to UPS versus shutting down the server if only one power supply switches to UPS (only partial power outage). I stil need to read more about the software, I just wanted to shoot these questions out also, just to get as much info as possible, and better yet, an overall solution that would solve this issue I'm haivng meeting the given requirements.

Thanks agian for your reponse...and for the link! Much appreciated.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

The PDU is usually simply a distribution point with no active components to control shutdown and the like.

Since they are not actually a "Power Supply", there is not much you can do with them, except plug them into a UPS or some managemable device.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)