5793 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Proliant MicroServer Gen8 Non-System Disk Error After Raid Recovery

lawlesm
Occasional Collector

Proliant MicroServer Gen8 Non-System Disk Error After Raid Recovery

Greetings,

I am maintaining an HP Proliant Microserver Gen8 server that is about 5 years old (PN: 783959-S01) for a non-prof.

It has 4x1tb drives that are setup in RAID 1+0 using B120i RAID Controller (v3.54.0). 

A drive failed the other day (Server was still fully functional), we got an exact replacement. One of the staff pulled the bad drive without powering down and put the new one in. It started displaying a "Non System Disk Error" when booting. 

I powered down and pulled the drive. Retsrated, same result. Added drive back in, and F1 to rebuild. The drive rebuilt and I rebooted. Same system disk error. It looks like the BIOS is not seeing the OS or the OS is damaged?

In the process of troubleshooting, I ran diagnostics on the phsyical drives and on logical drive. No issues. I updated the BIOS with the 2019 version while I was in there. 

No USB attached, no SD card attached. Verified the boot order. 

Any recommendations on how to fix without data loss? My external backup drive just crashed on me as well... If I have to start over, I have the build the server form scratch. 

*Sorry if this is an obvious fix or a incomplete decription. I am a BI developer by day, volunteer IT administrator/Windows Admin/Server Engineer by night.

2 REPLIES 2
SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Re: Proliant MicroServer Gen8 Non-System Disk Error After Raid Recovery

Hello,

There are an abundance of error messages that computer users may see immediately after their computer boots up and tries to get into its Operating System. One of these error messages is one that states “Non-system disk or disk error”. This error message presents itself before your computer gets into its Operating System, which means that this error message renders your Operating System inaccessible, basically reducing your entire computer to an expensive paperweight for the time being.

“Non-system disk or disk error” points towards the drive a computer is trying to boot from not having any boot files or another issue pertaining to the drive. However, this error can also be caused by loose or faulty SATA/IDE cables or your HDD not being configured as the first medium your computer tries to boot from or anything in between. This problem can be resolved and the “Non-system disk or disk error” error message can be gotten rid of, and the following are some of the most effective solutions.

I would suggest you follow the below suggestions.

Suggestion 1:Remove the new hard disk and try to boot the server ( with the three drives), if server boots with the three hard disks….suspected new drive have an issue.

If not follow the suggestion 2

Suggestion 2

Step1: Remove all non-bootable media from your computer

Step2: Check on your HDD’s IDE or SATA cable

A loose or faulty SATA cable (or IDE cable on older HDDs) can make it tougher for Windows to detect, recognize and read from an HDD, giving birth to this problem. Open your computer up and make sure that the cable connecting the HDD to the motherboard is fastened securely and restart your computer. If this doesn’t work, replace the cable entirely and check to see if that resolves the issue. If the issue still persists, you can safely rule the SATA or IDE cable out as a probable cause of the issue.

Step 3: Make sure that your computer’s HDD is at the top of its boot order Because we started the server in Step A the boot sequence will try to boot and because there is no OS yet will reboot every 5 sec. Press F10 when the following screen appears.

Boot order Step A.PNGBoot Order StepBPNG.PNGBootorder Step C.PNGBoot order Step D.PNGBoot order Step E.PNGBoot order Step F.PNGBoot order Step G.PNGBoot Order Step H.PNGBoot Order Step I.PNG

Please let me know for further assistance.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Re: Proliant MicroServer Gen8 Non-System Disk Error After Raid Recovery

Hello,

I hope, your server issue resolved.

Please let me know for further assistance.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo