Servers - General
1753603 Members
6235 Online
108797 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

R3000XR UPS Electronic Module Hot Swap

Mike Zinsmeister

R3000XR UPS Electronic Module Hot Swap

Anybody know the trick to swapping out the electronics module on an HP R3000XR UPS, with power on and WITHOUT dropping the load? The documentation states that you can, but I can't seem to do so. Any attempt to pull the module out kills power instantly.

THANKS,

-Mike Z-
2 REPLIES 2
Steve Tran
Trusted Contributor

Re: R3000XR UPS Electronic Module Hot Swap

Should be able to pull the Electronics module out and the unit goes into bypass. If it is dropping the load, several things could be happening, 1. Unit is overloaded and will not go into bypass.
2. Input voltage is out of range and will not go into bypass.
3. You are on battery and unit will not go into bypass.

What is the reason for removing the electronics module? Is there an alarm? Red LED? etc.
Mike Zinsmeister

Re: R3000XR UPS Electronic Module Hot Swap

THANKS for the reply TRAN. Yes, but not on the UPS where I'm trying to test this. I have 2 units powering critical servers. Both showing "bad battery" alarms. The battery packs out of the 1st one, checked good in another. Replaced batteries anyway and it did not resolve issue. Cycling utility power also did not clear alarm. Not sure what to try at this point other then to swap electronics module. Before doing so though, I was trying to test a "hot swap" on a spare UPS in my test lab - without success. I've not checked batteries on the 2nd alarming UPS yet but suspect the same result. UPSs only a couple of years old so I didn't really expect the batteries to be bad.