Servers - General
1753822 Members
9478 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: R3000XR and Windows 2000 UPS service (no Power Manager)

Adrian Ogden
Frequent Advisor

R3000XR and Windows 2000 UPS service (no Power Manager)

Anyone know what settings to use to get the standard Windows 2000 UPS service to instigate a shutdown upon loss of power to a R3000XR UPS? I'm not able to install the web based power manager for security reasons.

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
Steve Tran
Trusted Contributor

Adrian,

What are your concerns for not using HP Power Manager to manage your UPS? We are looking into ways to enhance security for the application, maybe to optionally disable remote access.

For your information, Windows 2000/XP UPS service support mainly APC UPS and generic UPS via contact closure. It would not be a prefered solution to manage the R3000XR.

Thanks,
Steve
Adrian Ogden
Frequent Advisor

We would have to perform a security analysis on it to determine if there was any vulnerabilities (irrespective of suppliers claims). Since this costs us time and money I would prefer at this point in time just to configure the server to shutdown on power failure to the UPS.

How can I configure W2k to do this?

Thanks
Steve Tran
Trusted Contributor

Adrian,

Have you ever considered to use firewall to close down unused ports? WinXP SP2 does fairly good job on this but there are several firewall products available for Win2K. I believe you can use a good firewall product to effectively lock down access to the HPPM machine where most of the UPS control resides. This would effectively give you the security that you want but still be able to manage your UPS via HPPM. If you still insist on using non-webbased UPS software to manage the R3000XR, you may download the LanSafe III software from the HP UPS legacy software page at http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/power-protection/software/legacy-software.html

Thanks,
Steve