1753452 Members
6207 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: RISC microprocessor

Manish Chopra

RISC microprocessor

I have often wondered about the progress of RISC based microprocessors, and this is in context to HP-PARISC and IBM-POWER.

PARISC runs at a max. 1.2 Ghz speed, while the POWER 6 processor has gone beyond the 4 Ghz mark.

The question is, why the development of POWER based systems is continuing and POWER 7 is in pipeline. Why is it that the same could not be incorporated on PA-RISC and that it has become obsolete now, paving way for the Itanium processor.

If anyone could provide a link and/or explanation on this, it would be enlightening.
5 REPLIES 5
SoorajCleris
Honored Contributor

Hi Manish,

I also wonder the same!!..

I think it is because of considering the cost effectiveness. Currently HP is moving to Blade servers rather than the cell based one.

It seems there will be a Blade superdome. And the new Itanium processor which will be released is quad core ( the name is Tukwila).

It seems the next version of HP-UX 11i v4 will support only this architecture not PA-RISC

PA-RISC support will be stopped 2013 (wiki).

Regards,
Sooraj
"UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity" - Dennis Ritchie
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Why is it that the same could not be incorporated on PA-RISC?

It became too costly and HP decided to go with EPIC instead of RISC.
Hakki Aydin Ucar
Honored Contributor

Manish Chopra

Thanks for your replies and links, that are informative indeed.

But the primary concern is, why IBM has pushed a RISC processor(POWER chip) to beyond 4 Ghz speed whereas HP has'nt opted for doing the same for PA-RISC.

Yes, cost certainly is one factor, so does that mean that IBM can sustain the growth of POWER developments. IBM does'nt really seemed to have looked at "greener" processing !
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

it does all come down to cost, remember that ibm fabs it's own chips as well as having had a clear roadmap for the power chips for some time. digital/compaq made the same decision about alpha as hp did about pa-risc , looking ahead even though ev8 (dual core) and ev9 (multi core vector chip , power 7 rival) were down on paper, they could see diminishing returns trying to compete with intel/ibm et al.
much more cost effective to partner with intel and have them do the majority of the development and manufacture.

fwiw