Servers - General
1748040 Members
4937 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Secure WebConsole through firewall ?

Jason Dinsdale
Frequent Advisor

Firmware news ... aparently this new firmware is going to be released real soon, and will have the designation A2.00 (not A1.10). It's just a shame that it doesn't fix the problem!

On that note, I still haven't got the WC to work through the firewall but I'm working on it.

Jason
If a man talks in a forest and there is no woman to hear, is he still wrong?
George Abraham_1
Regular Advisor

hai

I am also facing the same problem.. when i try to connect from outside the firewall the login comes then hangs there.. I cantacted HP they said it is related to firewall,, to see if any error log is there.. Ports to be opened are 23, 80 and 2023(for serial communication..

waiting for a solution
keep smiling
george
keep smiling
George Abraham_1
Regular Advisor

hai

I installed Netspace and a java console,,, in that i noticed one error.. does this make any sense to anyone?

---------------------------------------------------- Exception occurred during event dispatching: java.security.AccessControlException: access denied
(java.net.SocketPermission 10.1.1.76:23 connect,resolve) at java.security.AccessControlContext.checkPermission(Unknown Source) at java.security.AccessController.checkPermission(Unknown Source) at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkPermission(Unknown Source) at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkConnect(Unknown Source)
keep smiling

Geetam,

As some others have already mentioned there is an alternative product to the secure web console from Arula systems...

If you are coming from the 'dity' side of a firewall, I would *never* use a HP secure web console - these are very very easy to crack, as they *do not* encrypt the data stream, but merely scramble it - have a hunt around some of the security sites and you will find five line perl routines for unscrambling the data. Got to arula.com, and take a look at their SSL version (Dominion X1 I think its called)

I have used one of these arula products in the distant past... I seem to recall having to open up port 8080 and one other configurable port to get it working...

Cheers

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
benoit Bruckert
Honored Contributor

Hi,
I won't give you a solution, but may be the reason why it doesn't work :
When you connect to webconsole trough 80 , you open a non connected link to the web console.
Any terminal base application need a connected link, which means that http 80 cannot be used.
So, another port is used by the webconsole (I don't know wich one) which offer this connection.
The Webconsole is using a java applet, and this java program creates this connection (like a telnet in fact !).
So if you want to use it through fire wall, find the good tcp port and open it ! But may be you may have more than 1 port, I don't know ! And the server has also to send the answer (open the firewall on the other side !).

For security reasons, I would recommend you to used VPN,ssh, or something like that to access your servers. I'm not sure that webconsole is secured (I.E. crypted communication).

Hope it will help
Une application mal pans├йe aboutit ├а une usine ├а gaze (GHG)
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Geetam,

The webconsole uses quite a few ports, other than just 80, and if these ports are not open, it will not work. You need to open up port 23:

Port Address: The port address to be used by the SecureAccess unit when communicating with other systems. The default port address is 23, but can also be set to any value in the range of 2000-2400. Please verify this value with your firewall configuration.

THE HP WEBCONSOLE is BUILT by ARULA.

http://www.arula.com/pdf/SecureAccessInstall.pdf

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die