Servers - General
1752522 Members
4818 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Stop terminal server users seeing messages from the HP UPS Power Protection Agent?

Greg Skerman
Occasional Advisor

Stop terminal server users seeing messages from the HP UPS Power Protection Agent?

Each time we test our standby generator protecting our blade server AC power, all our users get a message that the server will be shutdown in 80 minutes as the blades go on UPS power, followed by another saying that the shutdown has been cancelled. This spooks our users no end.

Can these UPS agent messages be disabled? 

- on MS Server 2008 with "HP UPS Power Protection Agent" (DevManRA service)

Thanks,

Greg S

5 REPLIES 5
Robert Egloff
Frequent Advisor

Re: Stop terminal server users seeing messages from the HP UPS Power Protection Agent?

Greg Skerman
Occasional Advisor

Re: Stop terminal server users seeing messages from the HP UPS Power Protection Agent?

Thanks Robert, but the System Tray is already suppressed. Unfortunately, the HP agent forces a message to pop-up smack in screen center, whether we want it to or not. Seems a shame that HP gives no control over the agent behavior. We are regretting going with an HP UPS system.

Robert Egloff
Frequent Advisor

Oh, I follow you - using HP Power manager I assume?

We have it running on some Citrix boxes, but none of the users have mentioned pop-ups. Of course, the Citrix app is setup seamless, so they may not get it anyway.

So I've never had to dig into that myself...

With one version we had running, I found a non-paged memory leak in it and updated - are you on the newest version?

henkelg

I'm not sure if you mean the notification users get when logging into the terminal server? 

In that case you should be able to login to HP Power Protector as an admin and go to 

- Settings

- Event Actions

And delete the default event "Notification to systray", that's how I solved it for my users. 

youAreHere

Was able to stop the HP PowerProtect from showing up on users machines by editing the config file for the PowerProtect application.  Save a backup of the config before making any changes

Make the changes on the terminal server
C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\PowerProtector\configs\config.js
(i just created a copy of the original and renamed it config1.js in case I screwed anything up)

I use NotePad++ as my config editor
Make the following changes

{
'active': true, [change to false]
'name': "/Config/Action/Notification/DefaultActionName",
'action': "sendNotification",
'params':
{
}
},
'systray':
{
'soundAlarm': true, [change to false]
'notificationIcon': true, [change to false]
'notificationBox': true, [change to false]
}

Save the config file, log out and log back in - notification is no longer displaying, users will no longer observe the notification either.