1748069 Members
5105 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: UPS Management Module Firmware problems

gsb_2
Regular Advisor

UPS Management Module Firmware problems

I have two R5500 units both with Management modules rev 2.09. I have both my HPUX Rx3600s configured with remote agent 5.0 on both UPSs that work fine. However when I try to upgrade the firmware on either or both Management modules to either 2.1.2 or 2.1.3 I keep getting "agent not connected" and then "agent not connected cleared" every minute. As soon as I downgrade to 2.0.9 everything works fine again.
7 REPLIES 7
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Maybe the communication between the agent and module is being dropped for some reason.

Did you try by stopping and staring the agent or reconfigure it (DevMan setup) after moving to 2.1.2

Anything in the management module event log and any change in attached devices tab?

What is the patch level of HP-UX on the servers?

gsb_2
Regular Advisor

I have started and stopped the DevMan process and tried reconfiguring it. Also I have tried deleting and adding back the rx3600s in the attached devices tab. In the log I just get this every few seconds:
Agent(s) Not Connected Cleared 01/28/2010 11:32:54
Agent(s) Not Connected 01/28/2010 11:32:53
Agent(s) Not Connected Cleared 01/28/2010 11:32:49
Agent(s) Not Connected 01/28/2010 11:32:48
Agent(s) Not Connected Cleared

The only thing I haven't tried is using remote agent 4.5 instead of 5.0
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Any messages/errors by DevManRA in the /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log?

What's the HP-UX patch level on the boxes?
# swlist -l bundle
# swlist -l product

I suspect the problem is from remote agent on the host.

Per the 2.1.3/2.1.2 firmware readme, there is a HP-UX patch needed but no mention of the patch number. I would call HP support and get the information about the needed patch. Maybe with the needed patch, the remote agent will communicate with the module properly and that would take care of the problem.
Brian Vo
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

I suggest that you reconfigure the PPA. There are 2 fields on the PPA. On the Management Module #1, you enter the HPMM IP. On the Management Module #2 you selects "No Server" from the drop down menu.

If not fix the event log, you remove and add the Attached Devices back again. Then re-configure the PPA

Brian
gsb_2
Regular Advisor

Reconfiguring the PPA is not something I am familar with. How and where do I configure it? On each Unix box or is it something on the Management Module?

Thanks,
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

PPA on the Unix host. You may want to refer this document.

http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00865951/c00865951.pdf

Again, do you see anything in syslog.log on the unix hosts?
gsb_2
Regular Advisor

I see by PPA you just mean to run DevMan on the Unix box. I did try that but once I configured both IP addresses in DevMan the errors started again. There is nothing in the system logs and I don't see any specific patches for remote agent or UPS devices.
I am fine on firmware rev 2.09 so I will probably just leave it there for now.