1753318 Members
6114 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: UPS Management Module not seeing UPS

James Crosland
Frequent Advisor

UPS Management Module not seeing UPS

We've recently migrated our main data centre with 24 * R3000 UPS's to the UPS Management modules. Initially everything worked fine, but since we've had 4 UPS's lose connection with the UPS (see attached picture). Has anybody else seen this and is there a way to resolve it?

Cheers, James
5 REPLIES 5
ITS Technical

Hi James,

I also experienced the same when rolling out several of these also.

Ultimate solution is a complete power cycle of the UPS. The management module has lost communications with the UPS.

Cheers,
Vaughan
James Crosland
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the reply - the problem being these UPS's connected to the modules fine originally, but have now dropped - we've currently got 4 out of 24 UPS's which are not managed.

When first installled there were 2 different modules that had the same problem and as you say a power cycle on the UPS resolved. However this is not a reasonable "fix" for an ongoing situation, whilst most of our servers are dual powered we do have a few that only have a single power lead and as such restarting the UPS's requires downtime scheduling.

Since you power cycled your UPS's have you had had any further drops - how long have you had the modules installed - how many do you have?

Cheers James
Woody Gulledge
Advisor

Does anyone know an expected release date for w2k8 server version of the remote power protection agent (PPA) that is used on attached servers to the Mangement Module? Or if the current v5.0 version will run on w2k8?
James Crosland
Frequent Advisor

I'm afraid i don't we're still W2k3.

On a not in regards to my original question, upgrading the firewall firmware to 2.02 seems to have resolved the problem for us (on a couple i had to swap the serial card back in to get it up and running)
Woody Gulledge
Advisor

I just loaded the PPA 5.0 on a w2k8 64 server and it appears to be working fine. Well, at least connecting to the network agent--it did appear to work for the direct connected serial agent. I know the serial was working, because I could connect to the Management Module firmware, and even did a firmware update, via the serial port.

The HP website and the PPA release notes do not mention support for w2k8, but the Management Module Manual documentation (PDF) specifically states the PPA is supported on w2k8. Odd, because PPA 5.0 came out after the Managment Modules manual.