1751837 Members
5128 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: UPS R3000 XR Caution and Bad Battery Lights Flashing

Justin Emlay
Advisor

UPS R3000 XR Caution and Bad Battery Lights Flashing

I have two R3000 XR's and one of them has the caution and bad battery lights flashing.  I replaced the batteries however the light keeps flashing.  I turned the unit off all the way and back on again but that didn't help.  I also swapped the batteries between both units and the same unit continues to have the problem.

Does anyone know why both of those lights would flash?  I haven't tested a power failure yet.  I'm still waiting for a good time for that.

I appreciate any help,

Justin

5 REPLIES 5
PGTRI
Honored Contributor

Justin Emlay
Advisor

Is there something special about the serial cables that come with these units?  I've been trying all day to establish a connection with this unit and none of the serial cables I have seem to be working.  I just get a dead terminal window.

Unfortunatly I do not have the cable that came with the unit.

PGTRI
Honored Contributor

hi,

The UPS communication cables are specifically designed for UPS and it's good to use the one which came with the UPS.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c00339005

Thanks

regards,

How to Say Thank You? Just click the KUDOS!
Justin Emlay
Advisor

Thanks for the link.  The pin-out shows it's a straight through cable.  Nothing special.  All my cables are straight through.

In that case, I'm unable to connect to the UPS at all.  It doesn't respond.

Justin Emlay
Advisor

I was finally able to download "HP Power Manager Server Software Windows 4.3.2".  What is with this new shopping cart thing HP is doing?  I had to wait 3 days to get "approved" to download the software.  Sheesh!!!

It can see the UPS device.  Connected at 19200.  Wth that said, I can now verify that HP's specific cable is not needed.  All you need is a straight through cable.

However I still cannot hyper term into the unit.  It simply will not answer.

Everything is in the green.  Input Voltage, Output Voltage, Output Load and everything else on the right has a green check mark.  So I don't understand why the general alarm is flashing red.  Manual says possible overload but it's all in the green.

Input Voltage - 114

Output Voltage - 113

Output Load - 46

Under Alarm the only thing listed is Battery Failure with todays date.  That is flat out false.  It says this with brand new batteries installed or with the batteries from another unit of which the other unit has no problem with.

Under paramters is shows Battery as being OK.  The only fault on that page is Battery Capacity = 0%.  Why would that be?  Another unit shows this exact battery pack as being normal.

Battery Capacity 0 %   ***CRITICAL***

Battery Installed Date 12/06/2012

Battery Status OK

Battery Voltage 124 V

Run Time Remaining 0 Min

Can anyone make any sense of this?  Has my unit simply gone bad?

Can someone please help me to remote into it so I can do a FW update?  I'm using PuTTY.  COM1, 19200.  Is there some other setting I'm missing?