1752483 Members
6147 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: UPS for Proliants and HP9000 servers mixed

Andre Wattimury

UPS for Proliants and HP9000 servers mixed

Hello,

I am searching for a UPS wich can protect 2 Proliants and 2 HP9000 servers so the servers connected to this UPS can gracefully shutdown after an powerfail.

The R3000XR 192188-B21 with an HP SNMP/Serial port card 192189-B21, can it provide an gracefull shutdown for Proliants AND HP9000 servers. What I know is that I need System agents, are there any system agents for HPUX 11.xx. Or can I use the Six port card 192185-B21 to provide an gracefull shutdown after an powerfail.
2 REPLIES 2
Steve Tran
Trusted Contributor

Andre,

You may want to try using HP Power Manager ver. 4.0 (www.hp.com/products/ups under software). The software supports Windows, RH Linux, and HP-UX 11x. As long as your HP9000 servers can run HP-UX 11i and have a NIC, it can be done. As far as setting the 4 servers up for the power protection, you may either pick one server to be your Management server and the other 3 have Remote Agents installed. The Management server machine has "direct connection" (via either serial interface using existing serial card on the UPS or network using the SNMP/Serial card you mentioned) to the UPS. It will constantly monitor the UPS status and if needed, it will send shutdown commands to the other servers to shutdown as well as it will shutdown itself upon a power failure event. Also, the Management server piece could be on a 5th machine and then you will need to install Remote Agents on 4 of your servers. In any configurations I mentioned, all machines must be on the same network to be able to communicate to each other. The Six port card will not help in this case since you can only connect 3 servers to the card directly.

Thanks,
Steve
Ian Vaughan
Honored Contributor

Howdy,
My vote also goes for HPPM v4.0. Just installed it on an rp3440 with R3000XR - works flawlessly. Windows agents should install direct from CD or download image - HP-UX is a swinstall & run /sbin/init.d/DevMan setup & you are off and running. I messed about with the LanSafe software & the old ups_mond before finding Power Manager.
Free download from here -
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/power-protection/software/power-manager/index.html
HTH
Ian
Hope that helps - please click "Thumbs up" for Kudos if it does
## ---------------------------------------------------------------------------##
Which is the only cheese that is made backwards?
Edam!
Tweets: @2techie4me