New Discussion юеВ

UPS in server room

SOLVED
Go to solution
shanmuganathan
Occasional Advisor

UPS in server room

Dear All,
I wanted to know whether an UPS can be installed in the server room or not.The server room will have some servers and networking components like switches ,routers and isdn modems.
Thanks and regards
N.Shanmug
4 REPLIES 4
Shaikh Imran
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: UPS in server room

Hi,
There maybe many ifs and but's on this question:
The UPS installed in the server room is good as the central administration of servers & ups.

The same time you will have to have a very good Aircondition source for the same.

Also if you look thorugh pure electrical theory of Interference you need to keep it in an isolated place mybe in the server room,but the cables of UPS and the server's FC,SCSI,etc.., cables whould not see each other.

FYI i was having 12 L-class servers,4 nclass servers, 15 Intel servers, all these at one side of the server room and on the extreme left i was having networking equiptments RACK and facing that was our UPS's and Batteries RACK.

I think if you take proper care in isolating server,networking and UPS Racks
you can accomodate all the three in the same room with a very good central airconditioning.

Regards,

I'll sleep when i am dead.
Steve Tran
Trusted Contributor

Shanmuganathan,

Yes, most HP UPSs are tower and rack units that have protected servers plugged into. So they should be mounted on the same rack with the protected servers/switches.

Thanks,
Steve
shanmuganathan
Occasional Advisor

Dear All
Pls correct me if I am wrong.I understand that if UPS or other inductive machines are kept in the same room where the servers are kept there will be some voltage fluctuations in the voltage which may be harmful to some of our hardware components.

Regards
N.Shanmug
Charles Holland
Trusted Contributor

Shanmuganathan,

I can't imagine the power coming out of you ups doing damage to any of the equipment that is connected to it. One of the primary functions is to remove any power flucations from an outside source. Surely if HP thought that there was any problem with hooking their equipment up to a UPS they certainly wouldn't sell them. While we ran for many years with HP UPSs attached to our equipment, we did eventually convince management that it would be better to have everything in the data center on a UPS. While we are not as large as the previously expressed installation, we do have 7 HPUX machines 1 Linux and two many M$oft machines, along with the central telephone system, routers, switches on out one UPS. The only thing NOT on the UPS is the environmental control system.

Regards.
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted" A. Einstein